[comp.sys.mac.system] Not very many big bugs, so...

dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) (05/24/91)

Since System 7 appears to be (um) Rock Solid, I guess we have to settle for
finding small cosmetic problems :-).  Here are a few:

 o In the Finder, obscure a portion of the white space to the left or right of
   the name of an object on the desktop, with a window.  (Doing this with an
   icon doesn't seem to work).  Make sure not to obscure any text, or the first
   pixel width of white space to the right.  When you move the window away, the
   (erstwhile) white space is left gray.

 o In the Sharing Setup Control Panel, turn on application sharing.  The
   descenders from the old message are not erased before the new message is
   drawn.  (Is this petty, or what :-)

 o With Balloon Help on, and two applications open, make sure that there is a
   window belonging to the background application next to a (good sized) piece
   of desktop.  Put the mouse inside that window, but drag it out just before
   the 'this window belongs to...' balloon comes up.  If your timing is right,
   the balloon appears, referring to the desktop, and it stays there until you
   move the mouse outside that patch of desktop.  This is fairly timing
   dependent.  I'm on a plus.  Other machines might just be too fast ;-).

Command-Right Arrow is still universally dead (it doesn't work in SF dialogs,
either), but that isn't just cosmetic, so it doesn't belong here ;-).
--

Garth Dickie -- Math Graduate Student? -- dickie@math.wisc.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May24.032146.10126@schaefer.math.wisc.edu>, dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) writes:

> Command-Right Arrow is still universally dead (it doesn't work in SF dialogs,
> either), but that isn't just cosmetic, so it doesn't belong here ;-).

????  In *my* SF dialogs Command-Right arrow works great (it moves
you over to the next volume without going back up to the desktop).

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/25/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.ge5efv@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>In article <1991May24.032146.10126@schaefer.math.wisc.edu>, dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) writes:
>>
>> Command-Right Arrow is still universally dead (it doesn't work in SF dialogs,
>> either), but that isn't just cosmetic, so it doesn't belong here ;-).
>
>????  In *my* SF dialogs Command-Right arrow works great (it moves
>you over to the next volume without going back up to the desktop).

Private mail sent to me by several people indicates that
Cmd-Right-Arrow doesn't work on Mac Pluses (i.e., non-ADB keyboards).

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/25/91)

In article <53328@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
> In article <0B01FFFB.ge5efv@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
> >In article <1991May24.032146.10126@schaefer.math.wisc.edu>, dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) writes:
> >>
> >> Command-Right Arrow is still universally dead (it doesn't work in SF dialogs,
> >> either), but that isn't just cosmetic, so it doesn't belong here ;-).
> >
> >????  In *my* SF dialogs Command-Right arrow works great (it moves
> >you over to the next volume without going back up to the desktop).
>
> Private mail sent to me by several people indicates that
> Cmd-Right-Arrow doesn't work on Mac Pluses (i.e., non-ADB keyboards).

I guess Apple Engineers should be doing more development on Pluses
and less on FX's!

-- michael

(I keep a Plus around for testing, but I admit that I don't use it
too often!)

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (05/26/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.ghrfjc@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
[deleted stuff by others complaining about cmd- Right Arrow not
  working on Macintosh Plus keyboard]
>I guess Apple Engineers should be doing more development on Pluses
>and less on FX's!

What do you mean here? Apple Enginneers *did* test the Plus, but
as you apparently forgot, the Plus has no ADB keyboard, and the
original Mac didn't have arrows at all. The arrows and numeric
keypad were just an incredible hack whose result is that you
can't detect combinations of command keys with arrows (or
for that matter with any key on the numeric keypad) on older
non-adb keypads. So Apple Enginneers are not to be blammed
(for this one anyway).

Arno.

--
   /======================//==========================================/
  / Arno Gourdol.        // On the Netland:         Gourdol@imag.fr  /

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (05/27/91)

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

MP> I guess Apple Engineers should be doing more development on Pluses
MP> and less on FX's!
MP> -- michael
MP> (I keep a Plus around for testing, but I admit that I don't use
MP> it too often!)

I have a suggestion: put a Plus or a Classic right next to your fx.  Compile on the fx, and zap the fresh app over to the Plus/Classic to run it.  Never, ever run it on the fx before you're satisfied with its performance on the Plus.  Once you're satisfied with it there, take it to the fx and work out any of the bugs that crop up there.  Take it right back to the Plus and run it after those bugs are worked out.

Whatever you do, don't forget that there are huge bunches of us slow and pokey Plus users, and the Classic user list is growing by leaps and bounds.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!20.18!Adam.Frix

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (05/27/91)

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

>In article <53328@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>> In article <0B01FFFB.ge5efv@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>> Private mail sent to me by several people indicates that
>> Cmd-Right-Arrow doesn't work on Mac Pluses (i.e., non-ADB keyboards).
>
>I guess Apple Engineers should be doing more development on Pluses
>and less on FX's!

It must be some trivial omission - on my Plus option-cmd-right arrow does
the trick (while just cmd-left arrow suffices to shift counter-clockwise;
very nice to have it with >2 volumes! I don't think there was a way to do
it in pre-7 systems.) The cmd-mouse down in window title is also very nice.

All in all, I'd like to join the chorus of praise. The amount of thought
and work put into Sys 7 is mind-boggling. I installed it on two machines
"on the fly", with no special precautions, 5 days ago and I have yet to
see it crash. What amazes me most is that it's *not* annoyingly slow on
my 2.5Meg Plus (a fast HD helps, though...)

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu