[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 fun: HD SC Setup won't / compatibility checker didn't

leban@par6.cs.umass.edu (Bruce Leban) (05/23/91)

(1) When I boot the system from the Disk Tools init, it recognizes my
    internal Apple standard hard disk and I can test it (and it passes), but
    it won't let me update the driver.  The button is dimmed.  Any ideas?
    BTW, the old driver seems to work fine.

(2) The printed compatibility booklet doesn't list very many non-commercial
    inits/cdevs, so I took every one I had lying around and threw them into
    my system folder before I ran the compatibility checker.  It didn't
    complain AT ALL -- even about the ones I knew to be incompatible.  (Then
    of course, I forgot to take them back out before upgrading and managed
    to crash system 7 the very first time I ran it.)

I wouldn't say System 7 rules!, but I would say it's nice.

ObGripes: I miss the icons marching across the screen of all those inits I
don't need anymore.  I want to put dividing lines into my Apple menu.  I
want to know why I can't set my name in the Chooser anymore.  I can only set
it if I've installed the "Network" software.  Since this name is used by
some printers (e.g., creating postscript files) without any network it
should be possible to set it.  I want to know why the Chicago truetype font
doesn't match the built-in 12 point.  I wish I had truetype versions of all
the other fonts too (and in bold and italic).  I wish I had a faster Mac and
more memory and a larger screen.  And maybe world peace while I'm at it.

	--- Bruce
	Leban@cs.umass.edu  @amherst.mass.usa.earth

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (05/23/91)

In article <LEBAN.91May22174244@par6.cs.umass.edu> leban@par6.cs.umass.edu (Bruce Leban) writes:
>    it won't let me update the driver.  The button is dimmed.  Any ideas?
>    BTW, the old driver seems to work fine.

It means your hard disk was formatted with an old version of HD SC Setup
that didn't support the standard partitioning scheme.  You will have to
backup and use the Initialize button to get the new driver.

The old driver definitely won't support VM, but I don't know about any other
incompatibilities with System 7.  You probably would be better off
initializing it.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (05/24/91)

(Bruce Leban) writes:
> (1) When I boot the system from the Disk Tools init, it recognizes my
>     internal Apple standard hard disk and I can test it (and it passes),
but
>     it won't let me update the driver.  The button is dimmed.  Any ideas?
>     BTW, the old driver seems to work fine.

I suspect the following:

Your hard drive was originally formatted with version 1.x of HDSC Setup.
Starting with HDSC Setup 2.0, you have to reformat the drive to the
version 2 format in order for it to accept a version 2 driver update.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/28/91)

In article <LEBAN.91May22174244@par6.cs.umass.edu>, leban@par6.cs.umass.edu (Bruce Leban) writes:
> (1) When I boot the system from the Disk Tools init, it recognizes my
>     internal Apple standard hard disk and I can test it (and it passes), but
>     it won't let me update the driver.  The button is dimmed.  Any ideas?
>     BTW, the old driver seems to work fine.

If you haven't formatted or partitioned the disk since (I believe) 6.0.2,
then there isn't enough space for the newer driver.  I ran into this when
I started using 6.0.4 (?).  The only solution is to backup the hard disk
and repartition (at least -- it's better to just go ahead and reformat the
disk - just in case blocks are starting to fail).

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |