[comp.sys.mac.system] Sudden Memory Loss

wendell@ncc.uky.edu (Wendell McCarty <wendell>) (05/24/91)

Has any noticed any sudden memory loss with system 7?

On several occasions I have noticed that some of my applications would
not run because of an out of memory error.  This was confusing since I
had no other apps active at the time and I am running a IIcx with 8 megs.

When I pulled down About this macintosh, I noticed that  the sum of
the system software size plus the unused size was several megs off
from the actual available size.

Later I noticed that when I issued the  command option esc  to stop finder
that I lost about 300k.

One other time I noticed that my system software had swollen to 6.6 megs.

Anyone else experiencing these problems?
Is this a feature, a flaw, or an act of a hungry system?

Wendell McCarty
University of Kentucky

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.153803.4021@ms.uky.edu> wendell@ncc.uky.edu (Wendell
McCarty <wendell>) writes:
> Has any noticed any sudden memory loss with system 7?
>
> On several occasions I have noticed that some of my applications would
> not run because of an out of memory error.  This was confusing since I
> had no other apps active at the time and I am running a IIcx with 8 megs.

I've notice this at times too.  It hasn't disrupted my life enough to look into
the cause, but it would be nice if it didn't happen.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill) (05/25/91)

In <.3ghas-@rpi.edu> gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:

>In article <1991May24.153803.4021@ms.uky.edu> wendell@ncc.uky.edu (Wendell
>McCarty <wendell>) writes:
>> Has any noticed any sudden memory loss with system 7?
>>
>> On several occasions I have noticed that some of my applications would
>> not run because of an out of memory error.  This was confusing since I
>> had no other apps active at the time and I am running a IIcx with 8 megs.

>I've notice this at times too.  It hasn't disrupted my life enough to look into
>the cause, but it would be nice if it didn't happen.

> -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
>Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu

Are either of you running any INITs (opps extensions) or control panels
that you used under 6.0.7 or 5?  I remember reading that some INITs
continued to take up more and more system memory as time went by.  This
occured under multifinder where the system heap is dynamically allocated.

Charles

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (05/25/91)

In an article wendell@ncc.uky.edu (Wendell McCarty <wendell>) rambles:

>Has any noticed any sudden memory loss with system 7?
>On several occasions I have noticed that some of my applications would
>not run because of an out of memory error.  This was confusing since I
>had no other apps active at the time and I am running a IIcx with 8 megs.

A few people have reported this... I have never seen it though. I'm
wondering if it is machine or extension dependant....??

>Later I noticed that when I issued the  command option esc  to stop finder
>that I lost about 300k.

This is probably normal. If you stop the finder, it will immediately start
up again. As a result, the space occupied by the killed finder might still
be considered "occupied" by the new finder. So, it would load in a different
area, causing your memory to become fragmented in a different way, thus
decreasing the size of the "largest block". Make sense?

- Chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: TfChris              WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.200958.1239@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
           burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill) writes:
> In <.3ghas-@rpi.edu> gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
>
> >In article <1991May24.153803.4021@ms.uky.edu>
> >           wendell@ncc.uky.edu (Wendell McCarty <wendell>) writes:
> >> Has any noticed any sudden memory loss with system 7?
> >>
> >> On several occasions I have noticed that some of my applications would
> >> not run because of an out of memory error.  This was confusing since I
> >> had no other apps active at the time and I am running a IIcx with 8 megs.
>
> >I've notice this at times too.  It hasn't disrupted my life enough to look
> >into the cause, but it would be nice if it didn't happen.
>
> Are either of you running any INITs (opps extensions) or control panels
> that you used under 6.0.7 or 5?  I remember reading that some INITs
> continued to take up more and more system memory as time went by.  This
> occured under multifinder where the system heap is dynamically allocated.

I am slowly but surely rebuilding the massive set of inits I used with 6.0.7.
Right now I'm running Pyro 4.0.1, Superclock 3.9, Suitcase II 1.2.10, PopChar
1.7, MacTCP 1.0.1, MacsBug 6.2b3, CD Remote Init 1.1.2, Foreign File Access
1.1.1 (part of the CD rom software), Apple CD-ROM 3.0 or 3.1 (depending on
which version number you read...), Ethertalk version 1.2 (note: Phase 1), plus
all the things that came with system 7 itself.  The machine is a Mac IIci with
4 meg of RAM, virtual memory turned off, 32-bit addressing turned off,
file-sharing turned on.
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/25/91)

McCarty <wendell>) writes:
> Has any noticed any sudden memory loss with system 7?

Gee, I forget... (HUGE GRIN)
Sorry, but I couldn't resist...
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May24.153803.4021@ms.uky.edu> wendell@ncc.uky.edu (Wendell McCarty <wendell>) writes:
>Has any noticed any sudden memory loss with system 7?

Huh? Wha? Where am I? What is this "IIci" thing? What happened to my
512k Mac? What happened to the Finder?

:-)
--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu	Stuart M Castergine
        "The thought of failure never occurs to me."