[comp.sys.mac.system] A real bug in system 7?

armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) (05/27/91)

This one is simple.

1. Turn on Balloon Help.
2. Select any icon on the desktop.
3. Choose Get Info.
4. Move the cursor over the icon in the upper left of the Get Info
    window.

You should get a error dialog box reading, "Sorry an error of type -192
    occurred.

I am running a Plus with 2.5 megs, extensions off.
--
Stan Armstrong. Religious Studies Dept, Saint Mary's University, Halifax, N.S.
att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng | armstrong@husky1.stmarys.ca

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (05/28/91)

In an article armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) rambles:

>1. Turn on Balloon Help.
>2. Select any icon on the desktop.
>3. Choose Get Info.
>4. Move the cursor over the icon in the upper left of the Get Info
>    window.
>You should get a error dialog box reading, "Sorry an error of type -192
>    occurred.

I could not reproduce this one...

- Chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: TfChris              WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)

jfw@neuro (John F. Whitehead) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.135503.26111@cs.dal.ca> armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) writes:
>1. Turn on Balloon Help.
>2. Select any icon on the desktop.
>3. Choose Get Info.
>4. Move the cursor over the icon in the upper left of the Get Info
>    window.
>You should get a error dialog box reading, "Sorry an error of type -192
>    occurred.

Didn't happen on my IIci, 5 MB.

    John Whitehead   -----------------------------------------------------
    |   jfw@neuro.duke.edu              Duke University Medical Center   |
    |   jfw@well.sf.ca.us               Department of Neurobiology       |
    |   white002@dukemc   ___________	Durham, North Carolina   ________|

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (05/28/91)

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
>In an article armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) rambles:
>
>>1. Turn on Balloon Help.
[etc]
>I could not reproduce this one...
>- Chris

Ditto here...
--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill) (05/28/91)

In <22320@duke.cs.duke.edu> jfw@neuro (John F. Whitehead) writes:

>In article <1991May27.135503.26111@cs.dal.ca> armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) writes:
>>1. Turn on Balloon Help.
>>2. Select any icon on the desktop.
>>3. Choose Get Info.
>>4. Move the cursor over the icon in the upper left of the Get Info
>>    window.
>>You should get a error dialog box reading, "Sorry an error of type -192
>>    occurred.

>Didn't happen on my IIci, 5 MB.

>    John Whitehead   -----------------------------------------------------
>    |   jfw@neuro.duke.edu              Duke University Medical Center   |
>    |   jfw@well.sf.ca.us               Department of Neurobiology       |
Didn't happern on my SE/30, 4MB (6 with VM)

c89andma@odalix.ida.liu.se (Andreas Magnusson) (05/28/91)

armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) writes:

>This one is simple.

>1. Turn on Balloon Help.
>2. Select any icon on the desktop.
>3. Choose Get Info.
>4. Move the cursor over the icon in the upper left of the Get Info
>    window.

>You should get a error dialog box reading, "Sorry an error of type -192
>    occurred.

>I am running a Plus with 2.5 megs, extensions off.
>--
>Stan Armstrong. Religious Studies Dept, Saint Mary's University, Halifax, N.S.
>att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng | armstrong@husky1.stmarys.ca

It's simple to cure to Stan. Did you as I select minimal installation?
Then the installer doesn't include the Extension Finder Help.
This is the resource it can't find.

Solution: Copy Finder Help to the Extensions folder.

My question: What fonts do the Finder use in Finder Shortcuts? My is all
enlarged Geneva. Is it possibly so that I have to install other sizes
of Geneva also?

I'm running on a floppy for the moment, that's why.

/Andreas

--
 _____________________________________  ____________________________________
| Andreas Magnusson                   ||SnailMail:     Andreas Magnusson    |

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/28/91)

>>>1. Turn on Balloon Help.
>[etc]
>>I could not reproduce this one...
>>- Chris
>>
>Ditto here...

That's because you did not read through the last line: Extensions off.
The problem is that the "Finder Help" extension is off.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) (05/28/91)

) writes:
>1. Turn on Balloon Help.
>2. Select any icon on the desktop.
>3. Choose Get Info.
>4. Move the cursor over the icon in the upper left of the Get Info
>    window.
>You should get a error dialog box reading, "Sorry an error of type -192
>    occurred.

I encounter this on my Macintosh II, 5 MB RAM.

					- David