[comp.sys.mac.system] icons without rebuilding desktop

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/27/91)

It seems like half the time (or maybe all the time and I just
wasn't paying enough attention?) when I ftp a new program and
unstuffit/uncompress/etc it, it ends up with the generic icon.
So far, the only way I know of to restore the icon is to rebuild
desktop -- a time consuming process with 175 MB of HD...

Is there another way?

(Email is preferred because I can't keep up with usenet's volume;
I'll post a summary if demand warrants.)

Thanks
--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu        Bitnet: 665instr@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

djwiebe@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Darren J. Wiebe) (05/28/91)

In <1991May27.050818.4175@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:

>It seems like half the time (or maybe all the time and I just
>wasn't paying enough attention?) when I ftp a new program and
>unstuffit/uncompress/etc it, it ends up with the generic icon.
>So far, the only way I know of to restore the icon is to rebuild
>desktop -- a time consuming process with 175 MB of HD...

>Is there another way?
Hello,

	If you refrain from unsitting/uncompressing on you Unix site and do
this on the mac, you should have no problem's...  Usually I only use the Unix
mcvert since it's so fast, and since most everything for the mac is in Binhex/Macbinary format, when you download the .bin file, everything's just peachy...

(<=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=>)
Darren J. Wiebe                         | Internet:  djwiebe@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Box 141, Station L                      | AppleLink: CDA0010T
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada  R3H 0Z4     | Quote: 'scuse me,
Disclaimer:  Disclaimer!  I don't need  |            while I puke and die!
              no stinkin' disclaimer!   |                   -The Dead Milkmen
(<=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=>)

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (05/29/91)

In article <1991May27.174501.4581@ccu.umanitoba.ca> djwiebe@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Darren J. Wiebe) writes:
>In <1991May27.050818.4175@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>
>>It seems like half the time (or maybe all the time and I just
>>wasn't paying enough attention?) when I ftp a new program and
>>unstuffit/uncompress/etc it, it ends up with the generic icon.
>>So far, the only way I know of to restore the icon is to rebuild
>>desktop -- a time consuming process with 175 MB of HD...
>
>>Is there another way?
>Hello,
>
>	If you refrain from unsitting/uncompressing on you Unix site and do
>this on the mac, you should have no problem's...  Usually I only use the Unix
>mcvert since it's so fast, and since most everything for the mac is in
>Binhex/Macbinary format, when you download the .bin file, everything's just
>peachy...

Actually, this suggestion seems to work fine, if all you are interested in are
the black & white icons.  However, if you want the color icons to show up in
the Finder windows, you either need to rebuild the desktop, or find another,
much better, way.  So far, I've not found anything that will work either, short
of rebuilding the desktop.  However, since it rebuilds the desktop every time
I come back from System 6.0.4 anyway, this is not a major problem :), though
I would like to find a better (and faster) solution.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.      internet: dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar