[comp.sys.mac.system] System Extension Ideas...

gt0831c@prism.gatech.EDU (William Moss) (05/25/91)

For the creative programmer,
Here are 2 ideas for system extensions under system 7.

An Icon Editor/Database which is easilly accessible from the Finder.
Perfect for the many mac users with limited artistic ability who want
to customize their finder icons.

A "New File" Option for the Finder. Pull down the file menu, and the mac
presents you with a scrolling list of all of the applications on the mounted
volumes.  After selecting an application, and typing a filename, the app
launches and creates a new blank document already named whatever you named
it.

I have already found System 7, the extensions manager, and understudy all
wonderfully usefull.  I'm also waiting anxiously for HAM.

Thanks,
wMoss
--
William Moss                     Disclaimer: I speak for myself.
wMoss

osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn) (05/25/91)

In article <29835@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0831c@prism.gatech.EDU (William Moss) writes:
>For the creative programmer,
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
>A "New File" Option for the Finder. Pull down the file menu, and the mac
>presents you with a scrolling list of all of the applications on the mounted
>volumes.  After selecting an application, and typing a filename, the app
>launches and creates a new blank document already named whatever you named
>it.

Isn't this exactly what the "Stationery" feature of System 7.0 does?
You make a document (blank if you want) using your application.  Get
Info on it and check the "Stationery" check box.  Close it up.  Whenever
you open this document now, Finder prompts you for a name, copies it,
and opens the application.  Pretty neat huh?  (Boy those System 7
engineers thought of everything!)

>I have already found System 7, the extensions manager, and understudy all
>wonderfully usefull.  I'm also waiting anxiously for HAM.
>
>Thanks,
>wMoss
>--
>William Moss                     Disclaimer: I speak for myself.
>wMoss
>--

-- James

.------------------------------.--------------------------------------.
| James R. Osborn              | It just goes to show you it's always |
| Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory | something.  Either it's baffling     |
| osborn@ux1.lbl.gov           | tech notes or your mac is on fire.   |
| (415) 548-8464               | It's always something...             |
'------------------------------'--------------------------------------'

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/26/91)

In article <29835@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0831c@prism.gatech.EDU (William Moss) writes:
>For the creative programmer,
>Here are 2 ideas for system extensions under system 7.
>
>An Icon Editor/Database which is easilly accessible from the Finder.
>Perfect for the many mac users with limited artistic ability who want
>to customize their finder icons.

  Actually, we had a package called BitEdit which let you do just this.  We
yanked it before a9 because it took up somewhere around 24K of memory...

>A "New File" Option for the Finder. Pull down the file menu, and the mac
>presents you with a scrolling list of all of the applications on the mounted
>volumes.  After selecting an application, and typing a filename, the app
>launches and creates a new blank document already named whatever you named
>it.

  In System 7, we introduced the concept of "stationery".  If you have an
application that's stationery-aware, you can double-click on a stationery icon
from the Finder.  You will then be prompted for a name for a new document based
on that stationery, then the application will launch.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     blah blah blah blah...

pmbergla@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Per Bergland) (05/27/91)

In article <53344@apple.Apple.COM> nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes:
>  In System 7, we introduced the concept of "stationery".  If you have an
>application that's stationery-aware, you can double-click on a stationery icon
>from the Finder.  You will then be prompted for a name for a new document based
>on that stationery, then the application will launch.

Am I right if I say that it is the opposite:
That if an application is NOT stationery-aware, then Finder will make a copy
of the document, prompt for a new name etc, and then launch, while if it IS
stationery-aware Finder expects the application to take care of this itself?
(Just a blurb from what I think I saw in Inside Mac...)

>  -- Dean Yu
>     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
>     Apple Computer, Inc.
>     blah blah blah blah...
-Per

sho@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.191914.7045@watcgl.waterloo.edu> pmbergla@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Per Bergland) writes:
>Am I right if I say that it is the opposite:
>That if an application is NOT stationery-aware, then Finder will make a copy
>of the document, prompt for a new name etc, and then launch, while if it IS
>stationery-aware Finder expects the application to take care of this itself?
>(Just a blurb from what I think I saw in Inside Mac...)

Unfortunately, I *don't* think this is the case.

   "If your application does not support stationery, the Standard File
    Package displays an alert box warning the user that the stationery
    pad itself, not a copy of it, is being openend.  As you can see,
    the user can still easily change the template and mistakenly write
    over it by choosing Save without assigning a new name."

I think your scheme would be better.  I wonder why they didn't do it?

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/29/91)

In article <5171@dirac.physics.purdue.edu>, sho@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
|> In article <1991May26.191914.7045@watcgl.waterloo.edu> pmbergla@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Per Bergland) writes:
|> >Am I right if I say that it is the opposite:
|> >That if an application is NOT stationery-aware, then Finder will make a copy
|> >of the document, prompt for a new name etc, and then launch, while if it IS
|> >stationery-aware Finder expects the application to take care of this itself?
|> >(Just a blurb from what I think I saw in Inside Mac...)
|>
|> Unfortunately, I *don't* think this is the case.
|>
|>    "If your application does not support stationery, the Standard File
|>     Package displays an alert box warning the user that the stationery
|>     pad itself, not a copy of it, is being openend.  As you can see,
|>     the user can still easily change the template and mistakenly write
|>     over it by choosing Save without assigning a new name."

You are both right. The first thing happens when you open
from the Finder, the second when you open from the application.
A pity - it would have been nice to have this consistent (as it
will no doubt be in 7-aware applications).
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu