[comp.sys.mac.system] MMInit in System 7.0?

hamalai2@rapola.cc.tut.fi (H[M[L[INEN TIMO) (05/28/91)

Do I still need Memory Manager Init or is it in System 7?

                                   |  Everyone knows what a curve is, until he
Timo Hamalainen                    |  has studied enough mathematics to become
E-mail: hamalai2@rapola.cc.tut.fi  |  possible exceptions.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.213557.20337@cc.tut.fi> hamalai2@rapola.cc.tut.fi writes:

>Do I still need Memory Manager Init or is it in System 7?

You definitely do _not_ want the MMInit under 7.0. First of all, yes,
it is built in (has been since 7.0b3). Secondly, since the INIT was
essentially a copy of the Memory Manager in RAM form, it dutifully
replicates all the bugs in the Memory Manager. Well...not that there
are a lot; only a couple. But there is one in 32-bit mode that will
corrupt memory. This is fixed in 7.0, but if you use MMInit, it's
possible that you'll reintroduce the bug.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (05/28/91)

hamalai2@rapola.cc.tut.fi (H[M[L[INEN TIMO) writes:
>Do I still need Memory Manager Init or is it in System 7?

The performance problem that Memory Manager Init fixes is fixed in
System 7.  You do not need that INIT.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

REEKES@applelink.apple.com (Jim Reekes) (05/29/91)

In article <53397@apple.Apple.COM>, blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:

> hamalai2@rapola.cc.tut.fi (H[M[L[INEN TIMO) writes:
> >Do I still need Memory Manager Init or is it in System 7?
>
> The performance problem that Memory Manager Init fixes is fixed in
> System 7.  You do not need that INIT.
>
> --Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

More than that, no one should be using that init on any system running
any version of the System.  It has bugs that causes some crashes which
was a problem while we were testing System 7.  If you do have this init, you
should remove it and don't pass it around.  It does little if anything
for you, and the risk is too great.  It is NOT an Apple recommend fix for
any bugs.

Jim Reekes E.O., Macintosh Toolbox Engineering