[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 peculiarities/questions

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (05/24/91)

I have a few questions regarding some unusual things that have happened since
I installed System 7.0  So far, it seems to be working great with almost
everything I have, though I'm not using 32-bit, VM or File Sharing, which is
where I assume most of the incompatibilities will show up.

When I installed System 7, it turned about 20 or 30 or so of my applications
into pseudo-aliases.  That is, they had the italicized filename, but they
were really still my applications.  When I tried to launch them, it said
something to the effect that "Could not locate the program associated with
this alias, because it is not really an alias (oops!).  The problem has
been corrected now.  Please try again." or something like that. Then they
reverted to being a normal application and worked fine, though I had to
rebuild the desktop to get the real icons back.  Anyone have any idea what
caused this?

Also I have noticed that when I get new files, like the new Gatekeeper 1.2
for instance, I have to rebuild the desktop to get System 7 to use the color
icons, either on the desktop or in the GetInfo Box.  Is there an easier (or
at least faster :) way to get these changed?

Is there any easy way to locate all aliases on a volume without checking each
file individually?  I have perused the manuals (though I admit that I have
not read them 3 times front to back yet :) and don't see any way to do this,
and it is not an obvious option in the "Find" command.  Apologies if this is
in plain print somewhere in those manuals.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.      internet: dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar
--

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/25/91)

dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP (David C. Barnhart II) writes:
|Is there any easy way to locate all aliases on a volume without checking each
|file individually?  I have perused the manuals (though I admit that I have
|not read them 3 times front to back yet :) and don't see any way to do this,
|and it is not an obvious option in the "Find" command.  Apologies if this is
|in plain print somewhere in those manuals.

I think that many people will be better off giving System 7 the
benefit of a "fresh start" -- that is, make a full backup, reformat
the disk with the newest drivers, and then install things anew.

Yes, I know it's a pain in the butt, but hey. You need a backup
anyway, and you'll have less strange occurrences.

If you want, you can listen to James Brown mess with the blues[1]
while you do it. I can attest that it's very relaxing.

As for your specific questions about aliases, I haven't found an
answer. If you pick an alias and do "Get Info", you get a button
marked "find original," but that won't help you out too much. sorry.

bill coderre

[1] James Brown "messing with the blues" polydor 847 258-2.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/26/91)

In article <393@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM> dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP (David C. Barnhart II) writes:
>I have a few questions regarding some unusual things that have happened since
>I installed System 7.0  So far, it seems to be working great with almost
>everything I have, though I'm not using 32-bit, VM or File Sharing, which is
>where I assume most of the incompatibilities will show up.
>
>When I installed System 7, it turned about 20 or 30 or so of my applications
>into pseudo-aliases.  That is, they had the italicized filename, but they
>were really still my applications.  When I tried to launch them, it said
>something to the effect that "Could not locate the program associated with
>this alias, because it is not really an alias (oops!).  The problem has
>been corrected now.  Please try again." or something like that. Then they
>reverted to being a normal application and worked fine, though I had to
>rebuild the desktop to get the real icons back.  Anyone have any idea what
>caused this?

Inside Mac VI says that bit 15 of the Finder Flags stored in the
directory is the "isAlias" bit. However, that's only for 7.0. In
technote #40, bit 15 is described as a "Locked" flag. If this bit
somehow got set on your files under system 6.0.x, then that would cause
the problems you saw.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (05/29/91)

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM writes:

>When I installed System 7, it turned about 20 or 30 or so of my applications
>into pseudo-aliases.  That is, they had the italicized filename, but they
>were really still my applications.  When I tried to launch them, it said
>something to the effect that "Could not locate the program associated with
>this alias, because it is not really an alias (oops!).  The problem has
>been corrected now.  Please try again." or something like that. Then they
>reverted to being a normal application and worked fine, though I had to
>rebuild the desktop to get the real icons back.  Anyone have any idea what
>caused this?

No idea what caused it, but I've had the same problem with the
"logger" init I sometimes use...  No idea why, and haven't concerned
myself with it, 'cause it works. :)

>Also I have noticed that when I get new files, like the new Gatekeeper 1.2
>for instance, I have to rebuild the desktop to get System 7 to use the color
>icons, either on the desktop or in the GetInfo Box.  Is there an easier (or
>at least faster :) way to get these changed?

Um...  Only suggestion here is to copy it on a floppy first, rebuild
the floppy's desktop, and see if the color icon comes up when you copy
it to the hard drive...

>Is there any easy way to locate all aliases on a volume without checking each
>file individually?  I have perused the manuals (though I admit that I have
>not read them 3 times front to back yet :) and don't see any way to do this,
>and it is not an obvious option in the "Find" command.  Apologies if this is
>in plain print somewhere in those manuals.

Um...  It is an obvious option in the Find command... :)  Click on
"More Options", drop the "names" down to "Kind" and the last box drop
to "Alias", then click "Show all at once"

   Who, me?  Nope, I didn't say that.  Must have been my evil twin
	   Who am I? aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu <Alan D.>
   Where am I? Brandeis University Box 3130 Waltham, MA 02254-9110
		   When am I? 9-5, M-F, Rain-Shine
		Why am I? Whaddyawant, a philosopher?