[comp.sys.mac.system] More System 7 questions...

mar@ocf.berkeley.edu (Michael A. Ramirez) (05/22/91)

Greetings Mac gurus here are a some questions to tackle...

System 7 questions:

	1) I am having trouble with memory, I have only 945k free running
	   System 7. Is there a way to correct this, I've tried getting
	   rid of fonts, da's, extensions, etc, but to no avail.

	2) I would really like to edit the menu. That command T for empty
	   trash really comes in handy.

	3) Is there some new version of OnCue coming?

	4) Where can I get an init manager by anon FTP?

I am running a 2 meg SE with a 40 meg HD. Thanks in advance.

___    _   ___ ___ _  ____  ____  ____   mar@ocf.berkeley.edu
|__|  |_|  |  |  | |  |___| |___    /    When laws are ourlawed then only

gaines@mars.njit.edu (Starman) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May22.073356.2469@agate.berkeley.edu> mar@ocf.berkeley.edu (Michael A. Ramirez) writes:
>Greetings Mac gurus here are a some questions to tackle...
>
>System 7 questions:
>
>	1) I am having trouble with memory, I have only 945k free running
>	   System 7. Is there a way to correct this, I've tried getting
>	   rid of fonts, da's, extensions, etc, but to no avail.

How much memory do you HAVE? Remember, most of the DAs, INITs and CDEVs
aren't necessary in System 7. If you have 2 or 2.5 megs, you need to
upgrade your memory.

>	2) I would really like to edit the menu. That command T for empty
>	   trash really comes in handy.

You should be able to do it with ResEdit, but I would NOT unless you
know what you're doing!

>	3) Is there some new version of OnCue coming?

No idea

>	4) Where can I get an init manager by anon FTP?

You can't for system 7. It's obsolete with System 7. Just remove the
stuff you don't want an System 7 removes it from memory.
>I am running a 2 meg SE with a 40 meg HD. Thanks in advance.
The 2 megs explain why you have no memory left. Try upgrading to 4 megs.
SIMMs are cheap now

>___    _   ___ ___ _  ____  ____  ____   mar@ocf.berkeley.edu
>|__|  |_|  |  |  | |  |___| |___    /    When laws are ourlawed then only
>|  \ |   | |  |  | |  |  \  |___  /___   outlaws will obey the law- Mondo 2000

"We seek peaceful coexistance!"		      |		 Mike
"Yeah, and monkeys will fly outa my butt!"    |	  gaines@mars.njit.edu
		Wayne's World: The Next Generation...NOT!

lnews@mbtex.rtp.dg.com (Lou Cordero-News Account) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May22.073356.2469@agate.berkeley.edu>, mar@ocf.berkeley.edu (Michael A. Ramirez) writes:
|> Greetings Mac gurus here are a some questions to tackle...
|>
|> System 7 questions:
|>
|> 	1) I am having trouble with memory, I have only 945k free running
|> 	   System 7. Is there a way to correct this, I've tried getting
|> 	   rid of fonts, da's, extensions, etc, but to no avail.

As a bit of a followup question, what are the typical amounts of memory used by the system?  On my
IIci, the system takes up 1.2 Meg without file sharing and 1.5 Meg with file sharing turned on but
not used.  Can these numbers be reduced? I have a minimal number of inits running in addition to the
standard IIci setup.

--
Lou Cordero
LAC Software