[comp.sys.mac.system] Driver found in System 7

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (05/29/91)

I just installed System 7 (Thanks to Mark Johnson and the rest of the people
at Apple for bringing up ftp.apple.com!!!) and started pawing around
in it with ResEdit.

One of the drvr's is named '.DSP'

Is this support for a digital signal processor?  Is that going to
be on the next Mac? (which would make it more of a NeXT Mac :-).

Is this described in Inside Mac VI? (which is still not in my local
bookstore).

Anyway, I think it's a great idea, and needs an Apple-set standard.

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.161637.8910@nntp-server.caltech.edu> palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:
>I just installed System 7 (Thanks to Mark Johnson and the rest of the people
>at Apple for bringing up ftp.apple.com!!!) and started pawing around
>in it with ResEdit.
>
>One of the drvr's is named '.DSP'
>
>Is this support for a digital signal processor?  Is that going to
>be on the next Mac? (which would make it more of a NeXT Mac :-).

I wish it were.  Apple needs to get some DSP stuff into the mac ASAP.

The '.DSP' driver is the ADSP (Apple Data Stream Protocol) driver. ADSP
is a connection protocol which supports a full-duplex byte stream transfer
between two sockets.  It's pretty easy to use and is getting more and
more popular all the time. You've probably seen it in Retrospect Remote,
or Flash or one of those kinds of programs.  It's documented in Inside Appletalk
and in Inside Mac VI.

Tom

--
Tom Johnson             "I put this moment.............................here
tj@cs.ucla.edu           I put this moment......................here

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.161637.8910@nntp-server.caltech.edu> palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:
>I just installed System 7 (Thanks to Mark Johnson and the rest of the people
>at Apple for bringing up ftp.apple.com!!!) and started pawing around
>in it with ResEdit.
>
>One of the drvr's is named '.DSP'

  This is the driver for the AppleTalk Data Stream Protocol (ADSP).  It used
to be a seperate entity, but was rolled into System 7.  It's used for network
IAC.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     blah blah blah blah...