[comp.sys.mac.system] Appdisk for system 7, it's great!

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/26/91)

If anyone is needing a temporary ram disk, (system 7 only, sorry), let me
direct you to a program called appdisk.  It does an absolutely terrific job at
giving me a temporary 1MB ramdisk, and then going away when I don't want it
anymore..(yay!)..also freeing the memory.  This is a fabulous ramdisk if you
need one..!

\  Ken Corey, VAX/Unix Programmer/Operator  (And GOD am I confused...;)  /
 \          kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ken@isect.lonestar.org               /

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May26.000450.47076@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
> If anyone is needing a temporary ram disk, (system 7 only, sorry), let me
> direct you to a program called appdisk.  It does an absolutely terrific job at
> giving me a temporary 1MB ramdisk, and then going away when I don't want it
> anymore..(yay!)..also freeing the memory.  This is a fabulous ramdisk if you
> need one..!

I agree AppDisk is very slick.  Well done!

DISCLAIMER: The following refers to a products from me.

Since the AppDisk RAM disk as almost as big as the amount of memory
you allocate to AppDisk, I've found that AppSizer is really handy
to use with it.

I keep AppDisk in my Apple Menu folder for easy access.  When I
invoke it, I just hold down the control key to invoke AppSizer first
so I can allocate as much memory to AppDisk as I want this time around
(I change the size based on what I'm going to do with it this time).

Using Get Info to change AppDisk's partition size work fine, of course,
but if you expect to change this very often AppSizer can make it even
easier to use.

-- michael, creator of AppSizer

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.000450.47076@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>If anyone is needing a temporary ram disk, (system 7 only, sorry), let me
>direct you to a program called appdisk.  It does an absolutely terrific job at
>giving me a temporary 1MB ramdisk, and then going away when I don't want it
>anymore..(yay!)..also freeing the memory.  This is a fabulous ramdisk if you
>need one..!

Uh, would you please direct me to it, then?  ;)  Where is it available,
or is it commercial?  Is it on an ftp site somewhere?

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/27/91)

In article <10053@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> In article <1991May26.000450.47076@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>>If anyone is needing a temporary ram disk, (system 7 only, sorry), let me
>>direct you to a program called appdisk.  It does an absolutely terrific job at
>>giving me a temporary 1MB ramdisk, and then going away when I don't want it
>>anymore..(yay!)..also freeing the memory.  This is a fabulous ramdisk if you
>>need one..!
>
> Uh, would you please direct me to it, then?  ;)  Where is it available,
> or is it commercial?  Is it on an ftp site somewhere?

As stated before,  I've sent it to info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu, so it
should be hitting the net soon, if it's not already in the sumex archives.

If anyone needs this thingy right this second or sooner, let me know, and I'll
be glad to mail a copy to you.

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May26.000450.47076@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>If anyone is needing a temporary ram disk, (system 7 only, sorry), let me
>direct you to a program called appdisk.  It does an absolutely terrific job at
>giving me a temporary 1MB ramdisk, and then going away when I don't want it
>anymore..(yay!)..also freeing the memory.  This is a fabulous ramdisk if you
>need one..!

In case it hasn't been done yet, I sent APPDisk to comp.binaries.mac
this morning.  Hopefully it will show up soon.  If you can't wait, mail
me and I'll send it to you.

  <Ducking before the oncoming tidal wave of requests>

   Paul
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |