[comp.sys.mac.system] Using Laserwriter 5.2 with System 7

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) (05/28/91)

Can I use the 5.2 version of the laserwriter driver with system 7?

This may seem like a strange request but around here reprogramming the
laser printer with another driver (with the 5 minute wait) gets you unpopular.

Raymond.

--
Raymond Wilson.	email:	raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
		snail:	c/- Computer Science Department,

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (05/28/91)

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) writes:

>Can I use the 5.2 version of the laserwriter driver with system 7?

>This may seem like a strange request but around here reprogramming the
>laser printer with another driver (with the 5 minute wait) gets you unpopular.

Better idea: Get everyone who is using version 5.2 of the LaserWriter now
to use version 6.1, which is available from ftp.apple.com and is compatible
with the 7.0 LaserPrep. No more 5 minute wait for anyone!

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.151404.895@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) writes:

>Can I use the 5.2 version of the laserwriter driver with system 7?
>
>This may seem like a strange request but around here reprogramming the
>laser printer with another driver (with the 5 minute wait) gets you unpopular.

I have managed to get 5.2 to work under System 7.  Some of the pre-release
versions of 7 seemed to have trouble with the 5.2 driver, but I have not seen
any myself under the final release.  I would be interested to know if anyone
has encountered any difficulties.

System 7 seems quite stable.  Congrats, Apple!

Lawrence Miller

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (cantva) (05/29/91)

From article <1991May29.011620.27165@midway.uchicago.edu>, by lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller):
> In article <1991May28.151404.895@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) writes:
>>
>>Can I use the 5.2 version of the laserwriter driver with system 7?

> I have managed to get 5.2 to work under System 7.

Please tell me how. I tried moving the 5.2 driver files into the system and was
able to select them in the chooser. But when I tried to print it complained
that it could not open the printer (printer was on and was OK).

Raymond.

--

From article <1991May28.052152.4336@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick):
> raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) writes:

>>This may seem like a strange request but around here reprogramming the
>>laser printer with another driver (with the 5 minute wait) gets you unpopular.

> Better idea: Get everyone who is using version 5.2 of the LaserWriter now
> to use version 6.1, which is available from ftp.apple.com and is compatible
> with the 7.0 LaserPrep. No more 5 minute wait for anyone!

You have of course hit upon the best solution.

BUT, It doesn't work if you can't persuade the technicians to run around and
change everyones drivers! (That is why I poseted the article! :-( )

Raymond.

--

In article <1991May29.151418.916@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz writes:
>From article <1991May29.011620.27165@midway.uchicago.edu>, by lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller):
>> In article <1991May28.151404.895@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) writes:
>>>
>>>Can I use the 5.2 version of the laserwriter driver with system 7?
>
>> I have managed to get 5.2 to work under System 7.
>
>Please tell me how. I tried moving the 5.2 driver files into the system and was
>able to select them in the chooser. But when I tried to print it complained
>that it could not open the printer (printer was on and was OK).

I should have mentioned that you need to disable background printing via the
Chooser.  Whoops!  I also used the installer to install the 5.2 drivers, though
I don't know if this is necessary.  Of course, the driver must be moved to the
extensions folder, too (which you did...).  Sorry 'bout the confusion.

Lawrence Miller

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (cantva) (05/30/91)

From article <1991May29.073644.12528@midway.uchicago.edu>, by lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller):
> In article <1991May29.151418.916@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz writes:

>>Please tell me how. I tried moving the 5.2 driver files into the system and was

> I should have mentioned that you need to disable background printing via the
> Chooser.  Whoops!  I also used the installer to install the 5.2 drivers, though
> I don't know if this is necessary.  Of course, the driver must be moved to the
> extensions folder, too (which you did...).  Sorry 'bout the confusion.

Thanks.

It works fine now with background printing turned off. I didn't install the
5.2 drivers into the system but it doesn't seem to have hurt it.

Raymond.