[comp.sys.mac.system] 6.0.x and 7.0 boot selection.

mkh6317@rigel.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) (05/23/91)

While we wait for software updates, some of us, perhaps many of us
wish to run S6.0.x some of the time and S7.0 at other times.  In
the past, Blesser (1.1) was the method of choice for running multiple
systems from the same boot disk, or Apple's "startup disk" in the
control panel when the systems were located on separate hard disks.

With S7.0 old methods don't seem to work.  Blesser can't see S7.0's
system file to bless it so that doesn't work anymore.  I am running
hard partitions under SilverLining (5.27) and "Startup Disk" doesn't
work.  I don't know if startup disk works with SL partitions or if
its the particular combination of software versions that is causing
it to fail

Right now I have S6.0.7 on one partition and S7.0 on the other.  In
order to get one or the other system to boot I either: (1) alter the
name of the partition so that the desired partition is alphabetically
first, or (2.)  Use SilverLining's DA to set the partition containing
the undesired system so that it won't mount at boot time.

Neither of these methods is very elegant.  Is there a better way?

(related aside:  What became of the command-option-double-click method
 of switch launching?)

My thanks in advance to you that can help.

*****
Matt Howard
Dept. of Oceanography  "We don't need no stinking ocean view."
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas
*****

txhou@mcs.drexel.edu (Xinjun Hou) (05/23/91)

In article <16429@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@rigel.tamu.edu writes:
>Blesser (1.1) was the method of choice for running multiple
>systems from the same boot disk, or Apple's "startup disk" in the
>control panel when the systems were located on separate hard disks.
>
>With S7.0 old methods don't seem to work.  Blesser can't see S7.0's
>system file to bless it so that doesn't work anymore.

When I used the pre-released sys7.0b4, I found that the Blesser will
recognize the file with signature of "ZSYS". The new system(7.0b4)
has signature of "zsys", so if you want to do it, at your own risk,
you could make some modification.

I don't have releases S7.0 yet, has any one mixed the S7.0 and S6.0.x
successfully? My hard disk's volume information was changed after
I installed pre-released S7.0b4, I am really afraid of this happens
again when I install the released S7.0

Xinjun
txhou@king.mcs.drexel.edu

cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) (05/23/91)

---
mkh6317@rigel.tamu.edu writes:
 [wants to switch startup partitions]
|Neither of these methods is very elegant.  Is there a better way?

We've been using something called "System Picker 1.0",
which was written by somebody at Apple.  Run it,
select a startup disk, and click "restart". Blammo.
I still switch to 6.0.7 to play SimCity; that's about it.

My roommate found this;  I'll have to check on
its availability.

---
cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com       C J Silverio/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things, you just get
used to them."   --John von Neumann

wedeck@peanuts.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Joerg Wedeck) (05/23/91)

hello,

i have both system 6.0.7 and system 7.0 on one partition and i use
the "System Switcher 1.1" to switch between these two.
i got this via ftp.
everything seems to work fine, although somebody told that the System Switcher
would not work with System 7.0.

regards
	joerg

--------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Joerg Wedeck			| E-Mail: wedeck@peanuts.informatik\
Universitaet Tuebingen		|		.uni-tuebingen.de
Lehrstuhl fuer Techn. Informatik|
Sand 13				|
7400 Tuebingen			|
Germany				|
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (05/24/91)

In article <16429@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@rigel.tamu.edu writes:
>While we wait for software updates, some of us, perhaps many of us
>wish to run S6.0.x some of the time and S7.0 at other times.  In
>the past, Blesser (1.1) was the method of choice for running multiple
>systems from the same boot disk, or Apple's "startup disk" in the
>control panel when the systems were located on separate hard disks.

  stuff deleted here

>Right now I have S6.0.7 on one partition and S7.0 on the other.  In
>order to get one or the other system to boot I either: (1) alter the
>name of the partition so that the desired partition is alphabetically
>first, or (2.)  Use SilverLining's DA to set the partition containing
>the undesired system so that it won't mount at boot time.

>Neither of these methods is very elegant.  Is there a better way?

I'm not sure if my method is the most elegant, but it does seem to work
just fine.  When you want to boot the other system, just take the Finder
of the system you are currently running, and put it in a different folder
so that it is separate from the System file.  (I just keep a folder in the
System Folder for this purpose.  I call the folder 'New Finder' in the 7.0
System Folder, and I call it 'Old Finder' in the 6.0.X folder.)  After you
do this, the icon for the current System Folder will revert to a generic
folder icon.  You now should have no bootable systems on the drive.  Then,
take the Finder of the system that you want to switch to, and put it back in
its appropriate System Folder with its System File.  You will note as you do
this that the icon denoting the "real" System Folder will move to the folder
of the system that you wish to switch to.  Then reboot.  Voila, you are now
running the other system.  Note, however, that you will probably still have
to rebuild the desktop file when you switch if you have done a lot of adding
and deleting files, but that is true no matter how you switch systems.

Also note that it DOES MATTER in what order you do the above operation.  You
need to disable the current system BEFORE you re-enable the other system.  This
will allow the current system to properly decide which System Folder is the
one that it should boot.

One caveat on this method:  I have not tried it on a disk with multiple
partitions, but it ought to work the same way.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.      internet: dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar
--

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (george) (05/28/91)

:
:One caveat on this method:  I have not tried it on a disk with multiple
:partitions, but it ought to work the same way.

Well, how about it. Any brave souls out there tried keeping 6
and 7 on different partitions of the same drive?

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

cnv77@bnr.ca (Glenn Henshaw) (05/29/91)

In article <43810@netnews.upenn.edu> george@mech.seas.upenn.edu writes:
>:
>:One caveat on this method:  I have not tried it on a disk with multiple
>:partitions, but it ought to work the same way.

I've tried this with a drive partitioned with Silver Lining (5.27).
I also used the Silver volumes DA to turn off the mounting of the 6.0.5
volume and enable the 7.0 partition. Since I just got 7.0 yesterday, I've
not had much time to try anything else.

--
Glenn Henshaw                     | Adam was a Canadian.  Nobody but a Canadian
Bitnet: cnv77@bnr.ca              | would stand beside a naked woman and worry

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (05/29/91)

In article <43810@netnews.upenn.edu>, jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (george) writes:
|> :
|> :One caveat on this method:  I have not tried it on a disk with multiple
|> :partitions, but it ought to work the same way.
|>
|> Well, how about it. Any brave souls out there tried keeping 6
|> and 7 on different partitions of the same drive?

	I've been doing this ever since I installed System 7. I use
Silverlining which supports hard partitions. I have a partition which is my
boot volume for 6.0.5 and another partition which is my boot volume for
system 7. All my applications and data files are on additional partitions.
The boot volumes contain ONLY the files needed to successfully boot and
configure the appropriate system.
	Switching systems takes a little time but no effort. I use the
DA provided with silverlining to set the "mount at boot time" flag for
the boot volume I want, and turn off the same flag for the boot volume I'm
switching from. Then I restart from the special menu and go get another
cup of coffee.
	Works for me....
	peter c
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

jdsb@egr.duke.edu (John D. S. Babcock) (05/30/91)

In article <4559@bnr-rsc.UUCP> cnv77@bnr.ca (Glenn Henshaw) writes:
>I've tried this with a drive partitioned with Silver Lining (5.27).
>I also used the Silver volumes DA to turn off the mounting of the 6.0.5
>volume and enable the 7.0 partition. Since I just got 7.0 yesterday, I've
>not had much time to try anything else.

This seems to work great for me.  One note: Use Desktop Manager with the
System 6 partition.  Then you will get only one desktop rebuild the first
time that System 7 sees a partition.  Thereafter, since they use the same
database files, you don't get the desktop rebuild every time you switch as
others have been seeing without Desktop Manager.

At least this is what I have seen so far.  I have not have more than one
Desktop rebuild per partition even though I've switched many times.
J. D. Sterling Babcock             Duke University Electrical Engineering
jdsb@ee.egr.duke.edu or att!egr.duke.edu!jdsb

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/30/91)

In article <43810@netnews.upenn.edu> george@mech.seas.upenn.edu writes:
>:
>:One caveat on this method:  I have not tried it on a disk with multiple
>:partitions, but it ought to work the same way.
>
>Well, how about it. Any brave souls out there tried keeping 6
>and 7 on different partitions of the same drive?

I have two 105 meg HDs (one Conner, on Quantum Pro), both formatter with
OnTrack System's Disk Manager Mac software (v2.25).  I cannot boot from
different partitions on the same drive--I tried setting things up this
way, but it appears that (1) only the root partition for the drive is
around at boot time and (2) it is only late in the boot process that the
other partitions get mounted.
  As such, no dice for me this way.  However, keep 7.0 on the internal
  and 6.0.5 on the external and swapping back and forth with SwitchBoot
  (INIT) works great.

  Configuration: Mac SE/30, 8 meg, 2 x 105MB HD, System 7.0, System
		 6.0.5, etc....
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |