[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 goes Europe: How to localize 7.0

hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht) (05/30/91)

In <1991May29.165811.13830@nada.kth.se> simon@nada.kth.se (Simon Tardell) writes:

>I recently installed System 7.0 on my Macintosh. The domestic verison
>will not be available until late August. Thus I run the american
>version.

>Now, I have no trouble reading american menus (.nor american balloon
>help.) but it does bother me that I can't localize the date and number
>representation. Copying a KCHR-resource from my old system works fine
>so I have no trouble with the keyboard, but the 'itlx' resources seem
>to have changed. They are not the same sizes anymore and any attempt
>to bring them over from 6.0.x causes immediate crash.

>Is there anyone that has already solved this problem (come up with the
>right ResEdit TMPLs, for instance)?

You must copy the following resources to the new system:

itl0,itl1,itl4 and KCHR
But don't copy ID 0 (US), only the localized version (its ID 3 in Germany).
Then you can set the keyboard with "Keyboard" and Date/Time with the old
6.0.x version of "International".
Hope this helps...

Fred Hucht, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Duisburg, Germany