[comp.sys.mac.system] Aliases not OK where?

delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney) (05/29/91)

I gather aliases can be used ALMOST everywhere. I believe that there are a
few locations in the System Folder where they cannot be used. Could some
kind soul with proper documentation tell me (and the rest of us ready to
use Syste, 7.0) where we cannot or should not use aliases?

Thanks in advance,

John

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (cantva) (05/30/91)

From article <1991May29.131714.10976@xn.ll.mit.edu>, by delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney):
> I gather aliases can be used ALMOST everywhere. I believe that there are a
> few locations in the System Folder where they cannot be used. Could some

Well, I havn't been able to use aliases to inits yet. Annoying really as I have
both systems installed and switch between them.

Raymond

--
Raymond Wilson.	email:	raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
		snail:	c/- Computer Science Department,

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May30.093952.925@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>
raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (cantva) writes:
> From article <1991May29.131714.10976@xn.ll.mit.edu>, by
delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney):
> > I gather aliases can be used ALMOST everywhere. I believe that there
are a
> > few locations in the System Folder where they cannot be used. Could
some

> Well, I havn't been able to use aliases to inits yet. Annoying really as
I have
> both systems installed and switch between them.

Aliases are interpreted by the Finder and by the Standard File dialogs. A
few System 7-savvy apps can interpret aliases on their own (and more will
follow). Other than that, it's no dice.

This means they don't work for INITs (which are executed by the System
before the Finder is launched), but they do work for Startup Items (which
are opened by the Finder, as though you'd double-clicked them.) They also
work nicely in the Apple Menu Folder, for the same reason.

Non-System-7-savvy apps which try to open files without using Standard
File (for example, preference files, dictionaries, help files) will not be
able to access these files through aliases. So you can't keep preference
files in your 6.0.x system folder, with aliases to them in the 7.0
Preferences folder.

Hope this helps.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."