[comp.sys.mac.system] 7.0 - Printing Woes!

ack@wings.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (05/29/91)

We've been having a variety of problems here that maybe someone can shed
some light on.

1) Macs running under both 7 and 6.0.x systems using printer drivers 7.0
   have reported that printing is much slower than it was before moving
   up to the 7.0 drivers. This is on an NTX. Someone did some looking and
   saw that the Prep is downloaded to the printer EVERY time a job is
   printed. Is this really true? Why else would this be much slower?

2) Users in a mixed system office report that printer driver 7.0 does NOT
   allow background printing under the 6.0.x versions. The buttons in the
   Chooser are grayed out. Why is this so? Is this intentional or is there
   some easy fix we are missing. We have been encouraging offices with mixed
   versions to upgrade to the 7.0 drivers. If background printing doesn't work
   for these people then this is a major problem. Will this be fixed in 6.0.8?

3) We have seen at least one 7.0 set-up hard drive (a quantum 105mb) which
   refused to print from MS Word 4.0 (with the 7.0 drivers to a 7.0 LW Plus)
   it claimed that the printer could not be opened and then crashed when the
   OK button was pressed. This is a printer that other 7.0 macs can print
   to with no problem. We tried her drive on a II and a Plus.(Both times
   as the boot volume, and this is the same II that, under 6.0.5 and 7.0
   drivers, prints just fine.)

If anyone can shed any light on the above, we'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

-A

--
Andy J. Williams       ack@wings.dartmouth.edu       echo "Hello."
Consultant Guy         AOL:AndyJW                    setenv NAME 'Inigo Montoya'

jay@wanda.princeton.edu (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.180659.3252@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
ack@wings.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>2) Users in a mixed system office report that printer driver 7.0 does NOT
>   allow background printing under the 6.0.x versions. The buttons in the
>   Chooser are grayed out. Why is this so? Is this intentional or is there
>   some easy fix we are missing. We have been encouraging offices with mixed
>   versions to upgrade to the 7.0 drivers. If background printing doesn't work
>   for these people then this is a major problem. Will this be fixed in 6.0.8?

Perhaps you only upgraded LaserWriter and LaserPrep, and didn't upgrade
Backgrounder and PrintMonitor.  I have System 6.07 and LaserWriter, etc. 7.0
running fine right now.

--Jay Lieske
Department of Geology, Princeton University
jay@wanda.princeton.edu

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/29/91)

Andy J Williams:
|We've been having a variety of problems here that maybe someone can shed
|some light on.

|1) Macs running under both 7 and 6.0.x systems using printer drivers 7.0
|   have reported that printing is much slower than it was before moving
|   up to the 7.0 drivers. This is on an NTX. Someone did some looking and
|   saw that the Prep is downloaded to the printer EVERY time a job is
|   printed. Is this really true? Why else would this be much slower?

Not exactly. The "Prep" dictionary is loaded into every Postscript
file, though, because there's no telling what kind of printer will be
receiving the file eventually.

What's slowing things down? I dunno. Might be True Type fonts getting
downloaded. (Remember that instead of just substituting Times for New
York, the new Laserwriters can also download a TrueType New York.
Kinda OK looking, actually.)

|2) Users in a mixed system office report that printer driver 7.0 does NOT
|   allow background printing under the 6.0.x versions. The buttons in the
|   Chooser are grayed out. Why is this so? Is this intentional or is there
|   some easy fix we are missing. We have been encouraging offices with mixed
|   versions to upgrade to the 7.0 drivers. If background printing doesn't work
|   for these people then this is a major problem. Will this be fixed in 6.0.8?

It's actually that you need the new laserwriter AND the new
backgrounder files. The Installer does the right thing. Just use that.

|3) We have seen at least one 7.0 set-up hard drive (a quantum 105mb) which
|   refused to print from MS Word 4.0 (with the 7.0 drivers to a 7.0 LW Plus)
|   it claimed that the printer could not be opened and then crashed when the
|   OK button was pressed. This is a printer that other 7.0 macs can print
|   to with no problem. We tried her drive on a II and a Plus.(Both times
|   as the boot volume, and this is the same II that, under 6.0.5 and 7.0
|   drivers, prints just fine.)

It might be an early Word 4.0, which might have a bug. Is it the
latest Word 4.0? The upgrade is free, I'm told.

It might also be an extension or something fundamentally wrong with
the install. My simplest solution: back up the drive, wipe it clean,
format it with the new HD SC Setup, install everything again on the
virgin disk, eliminate fishy extensions, turn off VM (unless the new
Word is more compatible than I know about), and try again.

good luck,
bill coderre

ckd@eff.org (Christopher Davis) (05/30/91)

 bc> == bill coderre <bc@Apple.COM>
 aw> == Andy J Williams:

 aw> 3) We have seen at least one 7.0 set-up hard drive (a quantum
 aw>    105mb) which refused to print from MS Word 4.0 (with the 7.0
 aw>    drivers to a 7.0 LW Plus) it claimed that the printer could not
 aw>    be opened and then crashed when the OK button was pressed. This
 aw>    is a printer that other 7.0 macs can print to with no problem.
 aw>    We tried her drive on a II and a Plus.(Both times as the boot
 aw>    volume, and this is the same II that, under 6.0.5 and 7.0
 aw>    drivers, prints just fine.)

 bc> It might be an early Word 4.0, which might have a bug. Is it the
 bc> latest Word 4.0? The upgrade is free, I'm told.

 bc> It might also be an extension or something fundamentally wrong with
 bc> the install. My simplest solution: back up the drive, wipe it clean,
 bc> format it with the new HD SC Setup, install everything again on the
 bc> virgin disk, eliminate fishy extensions, turn off VM (unless the new
 bc> Word is more compatible than I know about), and try again.

We had this same problem, just today, in fact.  IIfx, system 7.0, some
extensions, Word 4.00D.

Solution: REMOVE THE VIREX INIT.

I strongly advise using Disinfectant, anyway.  I've always gotten my
money's worth from it, and more. :-)

--Chris
--
Christopher Davis, System Manager & Postmaster, Electronic Frontier Foundation
 Email -- Domain: <ckd@eff.org>,  Bangist: <{uunet,bu.edu,...}!world!eff!ckd>