[comp.sys.mac.system] DAs in the application layer under 7.0

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (05/21/91)

 Is it possible to open a DA into the application layer under 7.0?

 I have some DAs that now sit by themselves on the disk (took 'em out of their
 little suitcases). Opening them from the Apple menu with or without option
 held down just makes them open in their own layer.

 Thanks.

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) (05/21/91)

In <4902@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> Is it possible to open a DA into the application layer under 7.0?
>
> I have some DAs that now sit by themselves on the disk (took 'em out of
> their little suitcases). Opening them from the Apple menu with or without
> option held down just makes them open in their own layer.

Three ways:

(1) Use Font/DA Mover 4.1 to put the DA into the System file and use the
Option key when opening the DA.

(2) Use Font/DA Mover 4.1 to put the DA into the application.  The DA will
appear in only that application's Apple menu.  No Option key required.
(Except when opening the application from within Font/DA Mover.)

(3) Open the suitcase file containing the DA, or the "unsuitcased" DA
file (the kind you described in your posting) with Suitcase II 1.2.10 or
later, and use the Option key when opening the DA.  "Unsuitcased" DA
files opened with Suitcase II should NOT be in the Apple Menu Items
folder else the DA will appear twice in the Apple menu.

Note:  Finder 7.0 will be so crestfallen at the thought of your wanting to
use Font/DA Mover that it won't let you.  You have to launch it by other
means.

Disclaimer:  I'm the author of Suitcase II.

--
brecher@btr.com (Steve Brecher)

weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/22/91)

In article <2846@public.BTR.COM> brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:
>Note:  Finder 7.0 will be so crestfallen at the thought of your wanting to
>use Font/DA Mover that it won't let you.  You have to launch it by other
>means.

Much as I'd hate to hurt the new System's feelings, do you happen to have a
solution for HOW to launch F/DAM without having to keep two Systems around?
(Maybe Apple could make F/DAM 5.0 for Sys7)
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/22/91)

In article <2846@public.BTR.COM> brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:
> In <4902@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
>
> > Is it possible to open a DA into the application layer under 7.0?
> >
> > I have some DAs that now sit by themselves on the disk (took 'em out of
> > their little suitcases). Opening them from the Apple menu with or without
> > option held down just makes them open in their own layer.
>
> Three ways:
>
> (1) Use Font/DA Mover 4.1 to put the DA into the System file and use the
> Option key when opening the DA.
>
> (2) Use Font/DA Mover 4.1 to put the DA into the application.  The DA will
> appear in only that application's Apple menu.  No Option key required.
> (Except when opening the application from within Font/DA Mover.)
>
> (3) Open the suitcase file containing the DA, or the "unsuitcased" DA
> file (the kind you described in your posting) with Suitcase II 1.2.10 or
> later, and use the Option key when opening the DA.  "Unsuitcased" DA
> files opened with Suitcase II should NOT be in the Apple Menu Items
> folder else the DA will appear twice in the Apple menu.
>
> Note:  Finder 7.0 will be so crestfallen at the thought of your wanting to
> use Font/DA Mover that it won't let you.  You have to launch it by other
> means.

Hmm?  I just launched the True-Type version of Font/DA Mover with no problem,
and used it to install a DA into the TeachText application (just to try it out,
I didn't really need that DA in TeachText).  Or is it that you can't use it on
the Finder (or system file) itself?

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/22/91)

In article <2826@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>In article <2846@public.BTR.COM> brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:
>>Note:  Finder 7.0 will be so crestfallen at the thought of your wanting to
>>use Font/DA Mover that it won't let you.  You have to launch it by other
>>means.
>
>Much as I'd hate to hurt the new System's feelings, do you happen to have a
>solution for HOW to launch F/DAM without having to keep two Systems around?
>(Maybe Apple could make F/DAM 5.0 for Sys7)

How about F/DAM 4.1? In fact, what _is_ F/DAM 4.1? It's on the Golden
Master CDRom, but not mentioned in any of the manuals. I suppose I
should just try it...

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

ddl683@sarah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (05/22/91)

From jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) come these immortal words:
>How about F/DAM 4.1? In fact, what _is_ F/DAM 4.1? It's on the Golden
>Master CDRom, but not mentioned in any of the manuals. I suppose I
>should just try it...

	Font/DA Mover 4.1 was released with the TrueType INIT and font
sets a couple of months ago, I believe.  It "understands" TrueType and
lets you work with TT fonts in 6.0.x Systems.  It does work under Sys7
just fine, at least when I used it today (I had to update someone's
copy of DiskTop after they'd switched over to Sys7, turning their
suitcase into an appl).

>Jack Brindle

						Derek L.
--
+ + "When nothing else remains, one must scream.  Silence is the ultimate  + +
+        crime against humanity." -- Nadezhda Mandelstam		     +

kchang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kenneth Chang) (05/22/91)

In article <2846@public.BTR.COM> brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:
>Note:  Finder 7.0 will be so crestfallen at the thought of your wanting to
>use Font/DA Mover that it won't let you.  You have to launch it by other
>means.

Font/DA Mover 4.1 launches quite nicely for me under Finder 7.0. Am I
doing something "wrong"?
--
  Kenneth Chang           | National Center for Supercomputing Applications
  kchang@ncsa.uiuc.edu    |                 Consulting Office/(217)244-1144

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (05/22/91)

In article <2846@public.BTR.COM>, brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:
|> Three ways:
|>
|> (1) Use Font/DA Mover 4.1 to put the DA into the System file and use the
|> Option key when opening the DA.
|>
|> (2) Use Font/DA Mover 4.1 to put the DA into the application.  The DA will
|> appear in only that application's Apple menu.  No Option key required.
|> (Except when opening the application from within Font/DA Mover.)

	So where do I get Font/DA mover 4.1??
	PC
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/23/91)

brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:

SB> Note:  Finder 7.0 will be so crestfallen at the thought of your wanting to
SB> use Font/DA Mover that it won't let you.  You have to launch it by other
SB> means.

     Version 4.1 (distributed with the TrueType printers in March) works OK.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com  (1:109/421.4218)

tcwan@umiami.ir.miami.edu (05/23/91)

In article <2826@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU>, weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
> In article <2846@public.BTR.COM> brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:
>>Note:  Finder 7.0 will be so crestfallen at the thought of your wanting to
>>use Font/DA Mover that it won't let you.  You have to launch it by other
>>means.
>
> Much as I'd hate to hurt the new System's feelings, do you happen to have a
> solution for HOW to launch F/DAM without having to keep two Systems around?
> (Maybe Apple could make F/DAM 5.0 for Sys7)
> --
> \ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
> -  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -
> -                 izzydp5@oac.ucla.edu        |    Applied Science, UCLA    -
> / | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | \

Excuse me, but I just double checked by launching F/DAM 4.1 under the Finder
in 7.0, and it comes up fine. (Or am I missing something??)

You can even get to unsuitcased DAs by holding down the Option key when you
select 'Open'. Double click on the 'DA application' (whatever it is called now)
and it will open and list the DA just like a normal suitcase.

F/DAM is still useful when you need to install fonts and DAs into applications.
We had to do that for the WordFinder DA for it to work with Microsoft Word 4.0.
As was mentioned before, you don't need to hold down the option key when
opening the DA within the application.

Have fun,
T.C. Wan
Grad Student, Dept. of ECE,
Univ. of Miami, FL
<std. disclaimers apply>

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/23/91)

weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:

MW> In article <2846@public.BTR.COM> brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher)
MW> writes:
MW> >Note:  Finder 7.0 will be so crestfallen at the thought of your wanting to
MW> >use Font/DA Mover that it won't let you.  You have to launch it by other
MW> >means.
MW>
MW> Much as I'd hate to hurt the new System's feelings, do you happen to have a
MW> solution for HOW to launch F/DAM without having to keep two Systems around?
MW> (Maybe Apple could make F/DAM 5.0 for Sys7)

    Try F/DA Mover 4.1, which was released with the TrueType printers in March.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com  (1:109/421.4218)

schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch (*) (05/30/91)

Consider that most users don't know about Font/DA Mover 4.1, because it
is not contained in the System 7.0 distribution. (Yes I know where to
get it.)

Daniel Schaerer, University of Zurich/Switzerland