[comp.sys.mac.system] NetBunny lives .. in System 7.0

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (05/29/91)

In article <rcbaem.675459318@rw9.urc.tue.nl> rcbaem@rw9.urc.tue.nl (pooh
'Ernst' Mulder) writes:
> The root-level file called Appleshare <something> (I do not recollect
> its full name...) is invisible, but when you look into it (resedit) it has an
> icon... It's a WABBIT! (with sunglasses).

This is the NetBunny! I encountered him in the root level window of a hard
disk (which I believe had zero K available) when I attempted (and failed)
to turn on File Sharing. He was associated with a visible, zero length
file called "AppleShare PDS". When I made room available on this disk, I
could successfully start File Sharing -- no more NetBunny. :-(

> Anyone else noticed this? I didn't see it mentioned before! Do I win a
price [sic]?

Yes, you win a prize, you lucky dog! You get to be sued by Eveready!  :-)

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (05/30/91)

In article <11572@ncar.ucar.edu>, hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:

> In article <rcbaem.675459318@rw9.urc.tue.nl> rcbaem@rw9.urc.tue.nl (pooh
> 'Ernst' Mulder) writes:
> > The root-level file called Appleshare <something> (I do not recollect
> > its full name...) is invisible, but when you look into it (resedit) it has an
> > icon... It's a WABBIT! (with sunglasses).
>
> This is the NetBunny! I encountered him in the root level window of a hard
> disk (which I believe had zero K available) when I attempted (and failed)
> to turn on File Sharing. He was associated with a visible, zero length
> file called "AppleShare PDS". When I made room available on this disk, I
> could successfully start File Sharing -- no more NetBunny. :-(
>
> > Anyone else noticed this? I didn't see it mentioned before! Do I win a
> price [sic]?
>
> Yes, you win a prize, you lucky dog! You get to be sued by Eveready!  :-)
>
> Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
> NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
> 1850 Table Mesa Dr.
> Boulder, CO  80307-3000

This little guy is most certainly _NOT_ NetBunny. It's a "Killer Rabbit."

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@apple.com      - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!apple!alexr        - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     -                                - Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-  (408) 974-3110          - nobody cares what I say.       -             -

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/30/91)

In article <11572@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
>In article <rcbaem.675459318@rw9.urc.tue.nl> rcbaem@rw9.urc.tue.nl (pooh
>'Ernst' Mulder) writes:
>> The root-level file called Appleshare <something> (I do not recollect
>> its full name...) is invisible, but when you look into it (resedit) it has an
>> icon... It's a WABBIT! (with sunglasses).
>
>This is the NetBunny! I encountered him in the root level window of a hard
>disk (which I believe had zero K available) when I attempted (and failed)
>to turn on File Sharing. He was associated with a visible, zero length
>file called "AppleShare PDS". When I made room available on this disk, I
>could successfully start File Sharing -- no more NetBunny. :-(

  No, no, no, no.  NetBunny is something else.  The code name for FileShare
during development was Killer Rabbit.  During the alpha stages of System 7,
FileShare servers came up with the Killer Rabbit In A Monitor icon instead of
the normal AppleShare server icon.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, NetBunny Engineer, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     Please don't innundate me with mail about NetBunny...

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/31/91)

In article <53454@apple.Apple.COM> nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes:
>  No, no, no, no.  NetBunny is something else.  The code name for FileShare
>during development was Killer Rabbit.  During the alpha stages of System 7,
>FileShare servers came up with the Killer Rabbit In A Monitor icon instead of
>the normal AppleShare server icon.
>  -- Dean Yu

The question then, of course, is 'What is the AppleShare PDS file for?'
Other than storing this cool icon, does it serve a purpose?
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |