[comp.sys.mac.system] What's the ".. Rename & Move.." file/folder?

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul BIG-EARS Menon) (05/30/91)

Hi gang,
  I've noticed this a couple of times when shifting around at the
  top level of disks.  A file/folder with the sequence:
	".... [gibberish] Rename and Move.."

  or something like that.  I've seen this twice. I'e been too busy to
  examine it at those times - but when I return to it - gone!

  Is this a scratch area?  It seems to be invisible from the 'Desktop' level.

Clues anyone?

    Paul Menon,
    Dept of Computer Science,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe Street,
    Melbourne 3001,
    Victoria, Australia.

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
PH:	+61 3 660 3209

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/31/91)

In article <6039@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul BIG-EARS Menon) writes:
>Hi gang,
>  I've noticed this a couple of times when shifting around at the
>  top level of disks.  A file/folder with the sequence:
>	".... [gibberish] Rename and Move.."
>
>  or something like that.  I've seen this twice. I'e been too busy to
>  examine it at those times - but when I return to it - gone!
>
>  Is this a scratch area?  It seems to be invisible from the 'Desktop' level.
>
>Clues anyone?

  This is used by Apple/FileShare servers when an MS-DOS machine is connected
to it, and either a -- you guess it -- rename or move operation is performed
by the MS-DOS machine, this folder is used.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     blah blah blah...