[comp.sys.mac.system] kill current app -- what keys?

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/27/91)

I vaguely remember someone saying that there was a combination
of keys that will tell the top application to exit. Anyone know
what those keys were?

(Email is preferred as I have trouble keeping up, and I'll post
a summary if other people would like to know.)

--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu        Bitnet: 665instr@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) (05/28/91)

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:

>I vaguely remember someone saying that there was a combination
>of keys that will tell the top application to exit. Anyone know
>what those keys were?

Wasn't it something like 'command-Q' ?  :-)

Axel
--
Strike a pose...

pete@adele.inria.fr (Pete Keleher) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.085131.23077@fwi.uva.nl>, aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) writes:
|> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
|>
|> >I vaguely remember someone saying that there was a combination
|> >of keys that will tell the top application to exit. Anyone know
|> >what those keys were?
|>
|> Wasn't it something like 'command-Q' ?  :-)
|>
|> Axel
|> --
|> Strike a pose...

MacUser said it's cmd-shift-option-esc. I haven't tried it because I'm not
running 7.0 yet.

--
						Pete Keleher

INRIA, B.P. 105, 78153 Rocquencourt Cedex, France.  Tel.: +33 (1) 39-63-52-93;
fax: +33 (1) 39-63-53-30; e-mail: pete@rice.edu

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/28/91)

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:

>>I vaguely remember someone saying that there was a combination
>>of keys that will tell the top application to exit. Anyone know
>>what those keys were?

Command-option "escape".  Don't do this unless you are prepared to
clean up and reboot immediately;  it's not "the fast way to quit".

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) (05/29/91)

From article <1991May28.085131.23077@fwi.uva.nl>, by aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)):
> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>
>>I vaguely remember someone saying that there was a combination
>>of keys that will tell the top application to exit. Anyone know
>>what those keys were?
>
> Wasn't it something like 'command-Q' ?  :-)
>
> Axel

No, it's Command-Option-Escape.
You can achieve much the same effect if you use MacsBug and the "P Key" INIT:
you can then drop into MacsBug with Command-Power and kill the current app with
ES <return>.

 - Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (05/30/91)

One thing to keep in mind when doing the command-option-escape quit is
that it won't always kill the top application.  Instead, like MacsBug,
it will kill whatever application is swapped in at the time.  Pay
attention to the appname in the little dialog or you may end up
killing the wrong one.

anders

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.202849.15414@verity.com> anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:
>One thing to keep in mind when doing the command-option-escape quit is
>that it won't always kill the top application.  Instead, like MacsBug,
>it will kill whatever application is swapped in at the time.  Pay
>attention to the appname in the little dialog or you may end up
>killing the wrong one.

Odd; when I switch to the Finder and hit CMD-OPT-ESC, I get a dialog
asking if I'd like to kill the _next_ application in the list, NOT the
Finder.  I.e. if I have GIFConverter and 4th Dimension open (opened in
that order) and switch to the Finder, then press CMD-OPT-ESC, the dialog
says "Kill GIFConverter?", not "Kill Finder" as I might expect.

Or am I hallucinating?  When I tried this repeatedly I could not get the
Finder to show up as the application to be killed.
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/31/91)

It seems that the PKEY init only works about 50% of the time, or even
less, with system 7.0.  Does someone have an INIT of this type that is
--

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.194327.25333@mmm.serc.3m.com>, pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
|> In article <1991May29.202849.15414@verity.com> anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:
|> >One thing to keep in mind when doing the command-option-escape quit is
|> >that it won't always kill the top application.  Instead, like MacsBug,
|> >it will kill whatever application is swapped in at the time.  Pay
|> >attention to the appname in the little dialog or you may end up
|> >killing the wrong one.
|>
|> Odd; when I switch to the Finder and hit CMD-OPT-ESC, I get a dialog
|> asking if I'd like to kill the _next_ application in the list, NOT the
|> Finder.  I.e. if I have GIFConverter and 4th Dimension open (opened in
|> that order) and switch to the Finder, then press CMD-OPT-ESC, the dialog
|> says "Kill GIFConverter?", not "Kill Finder" as I might expect.
|>
|> Or am I hallucinating?  When I tried this repeatedly I could not get the
|> Finder to show up as the application to be killed.
I tried a few times before Finder came up - it does depend which app
is currently executing. Presumably, Finder is kind to background
apps when it's not busy. The actual application offered for the kill
is not consistently the same one.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu