[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 bug

sar26657@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Sam Roseman) (05/31/91)

I don't think this has been brought up before, so here it goes:

I have several folders located right on the desktop, under my
hard disk icon.  Under system 7, everything is ok.  But if I boot
off of my startup disk (the one that came w/ my IIsi), or off of
the sys 7 disktools disk, these folders on the desktop do NOT show
up....There is no way to access any info inside them.  What gives?

running on a IIsi, with 40 meg internal, 5 megs ram, apple mono monitor

Sam Roseman
University of Illinois

sar26657@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Sam Roseman) writes:

>I don't think this has been brought up before, so here it goes:

>I have several folders located right on the desktop, under my
>hard disk icon.  Under system 7, everything is ok.  But if I boot
>off of my startup disk (the one that came w/ my IIsi), or off of
>the sys 7 disktools disk, these folders on the desktop do NOT show
>up....There is no way to access any info inside them.  What gives?

i have been told that these folders are inside a "Desktop" folder on
the hard disk, which is correct - although it kinda sucks....

also: about half of my files claim to be aliases- when they are
double clicked it figures out that their docs or apps and fixes them -
youd think that apple would get this straight for a released version....

- Sam

jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) (05/31/91)

sar26657@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Sam Roseman) writes:

>sar26657@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Sam Roseman) writes:

>>I don't think this has been brought up before, so here it goes:

[deleted]

>also: about half of my files claim to be aliases- when they are
>double clicked it figures out that their docs or apps and fixes them -
>youd think that apple would get this straight for a released version....

>- Sam

I had this occour with a number of items as well.  The problem is that these
items had the Alias bit checked.  While using System 6, this bit did not
effect you in any way, but in System 7 the files appear to be aliases.

I don't think Apple did wrong by not automatically changing this bit when
System 7 is installed - this way you do not break files that really are aliases.

And regarding your first item, about the Desktop Folder - This is a new feature
of System 7, that enables you to place items into the desktop from within
applications.  However, when you boot from System 6.0.x, you will instead see
the Desktop Folder, in which you can find the items that in System 7 were on
the desktop.  A similar thing is the Trash Folder - this is where items that
were sitting in the trash can be found.

Jason D. Blue
The MITRE Corporation