[comp.sys.mac.system] More System 7.0 Peculiarities & Suitcase 1.2.10

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (05/29/91)

Does anyone else have the problem that Suitcase 1.2.10 trashes the color
Puzzle DA?  With NO other extensions (or Control Panel/Extension combinations
except for Extension Manager 1.0) loaded except Suitcase 1.2.10, The
color Puzzle tiles look like random dot patterns.  In fact, it looks
exactly the same way in black & white mode.  Note that I have applied the
patch to Suitcase 1.2.10 posted by Steve Brecher, but the unpatched version
seems to function in exactly the same manner.  I installed the system for
any machine on a IIcx, but it doesn't have any of the cdevs for file sharing,
networking, etc., since I'm not on a network.  Also, as long as I'm not using
Suitcase, I can use all my other cdevs/INITs, and the Puzzle DA still works
fine.

One other thing in 7.0 that affects Suitcase 1.2.10 (or any version, for that
matter):  When I boot 7.0 after running 6.0.4, the Desktop gets rebuilt, and
the dialog also says "Updating Disk for new system" or something like that.
At this point, it seems to reset the item in the boot blocks that determines
the number of open files allowed.  Usually I set Suitcase to allow 50 open
files, but whenever I reboot System 7.0 after running 6.0.4, Suitcase reverts
to only being able to open 12 files (its default).  Is there any way to
prevent this (short of never booting 6.0.4 from the hard disk)?

Also, although this may have been discussed months ago, does System 7.0 really
NOT support MFS disks?  This would really be a serious oversight.  I'm not one
to complain to Apple about all the "bad" things in System 7.0, since it seems
like a lot of hard work went into it, but such a "misfeature" as breaking MFS,
would be too much, even for me!  I have lots of MFS disks (> 200) that I
really don't want to convert over to HFS.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.      internet: dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

--

brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) (05/30/91)

In <397@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM>, dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP
(David C. Barnhart II) writes:

> Does anyone else have the problem that Suitcase 1.2.10 trashes the color
> Puzzle DA?  ...  The color Puzzle tiles look like random dot patterns.

Yes, thanks to your post, I just reproduced and diagnosed this problem
on my Mac.  The problem is this:  Puzzle normally uses PICT -16000 as
the color puzzle.  However, if PICT -15996 is present, it will use that
instead; I assume this is a provision for ResEdit-savvy users providing
custom pictures for the puzzle.  PICT -15996 is not present in Puzzle as
distributed by Apple.  However, if you have a DA in an open suitcase file
that happens to have a PICT -15996 resource, that other DA's picture will
be used instead.  Unless it's of a similar size as the Puzzle picture, it
will be unrecognizeable after scaling.

Generically, the bug in Suitcase II that you have uncovered is this:  if a
"non-suitcased" DA depends on NOT finding an owned resource as an
indicator of a certain condition, but the resource with the specified type
and ID is in an open suitcase file, the DA will get that other resource
(the wrong one) and be fooled into thinking it was present in its own
file.  This bug exists only for System 7.0 users.

I hope to fix this in a future release of Suitcase II.  Meanwhile, there
are two workarounds for Puzzle:  (1) move it out of the Apple Menu Items
folder and open its file with Suitcase II; (2) create a PICT -15996
resource in Puzzle.  An easy way to do this is to use ResEdit to duplicate
PICT -16000 and then use Get Info on the duplicate PICT to change its ID
to -15996.  I suppose yet another workaround would be to locate the
"imposter" PICT -15996 in your DA suitcase(s) (using ResEdit), move the
owning DA out to become "standalone" and put it in the Apple Menu Items
folder or double-click its icon to use it.

> One other thing in 7.0 that affects Suitcase 1.2.10 (or any version, for
> that matter):  When I boot 7.0 after running 6.0.4, the Desktop gets
> rebuilt, and the dialog also says "Updating Disk for new system" or
> something like that. At this point, it seems to reset the item in the boot
> blocks that determines the number of open files allowed.  Usually I set
> Suitcase to allow 50 open files, but whenever I reboot System 7.0 after
> running 6.0.4, Suitcase reverts to only being able to open 12 files (its
> default).  Is there any way to prevent this (short of never booting 6.0.4
> from the hard disk)?

Alas, at present, no.  The only workaround after going back (forward?) to
7.0 is to re-specify the number of files to Suitcase II via its "Power
User Options."  (Another workaround is not to run Finder in 6.0.4, but
that's not feasible for most users.  I happen to run File Director [my
product] and not Finder when using 6.0.x.)

> Also, although this may have been discussed months ago, does System 7.0
> really NOT support MFS disks?  This would really be a serious oversight.
> I'm not one to complain to Apple about all the "bad" things in System 7.0,
> since it seems like a lot of hard work went into it, but such a
> "misfeature" as breaking MFS, would be too much, even for me!  I have lots
> of MFS disks (> 200) that I really don't want to convert over to HFS.

While I have no special expertise on this question, as long as I'm here
I'll report an experiment of some months ago with 7.0b4:  MFS disks seemed
to be supported, but not by Finder, i.e., the pseudo-folders previously
supported for MFS disappear leaving all icons on the disk in a jumble
at top level.

--
brecher@btr.com (Steve Brecher)

brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) (06/01/91)

In <2903@public.BTR.COM> I wrote about a problem with the System
7.0 Puzzle DA and Suitcase II:

> The problem is this:  Puzzle normally uses PICT -16000 as
> the color puzzle.  However, if PICT -15996 is present, it will use that
> instead; I assume this is a provision for ResEdit-savvy users providing
> custom pictures for the puzzle.  PICT -15996 is not present in Puzzle as
> distributed by Apple.  However, if you have a DA in an open suitcase file
> that happens to have a PICT -15996 resource, that other DA's picture will
> be used instead.

> I hope to fix this in a future release of Suitcase II.  Meanwhile, there
> are two workarounds for Puzzle:  (1) move it out of the Apple Menu Items
> folder and open its file with Suitcase II; (2) create a PICT -15996
> resource in Puzzle.
[Description of doing this with ResEdit followed in the quoted posting.]

Since writing the above I discovered an easier way to create the PICT
-15996 in Puzzle:  use the Suitcase II DA to close open DA suitcases (to
make sure that the conflicting PICT -15996 resource is not present); open
Puzzle; choose Copy from the Edit menu; choose Paste from the Edit menu.
This creates a "custom" puzzle picture (resource PICT -15996) which is
merely a copy of the original picture.

I apologize to the author of Puzzle for my comment about "ResEdit-savvy
users," as the custom-picture feature is available to all users via the
Edit menu.

--
brecher@btr.com (Steve Brecher)