[comp.sys.mac.system] 7.0, why can't all CDs be shared?

kire@cyklop.nada.kth.se (Jan-Erik M}ngs) (05/24/91)

The System 7.0 CD can be shared without problems, but if I
select "Sharing..." for Dev.CD Vol. VII, I get a dialog that
says "One or more items could not be shared, because not all
volumes are available for file sharing."

Why? Is it on purpose or is it a bug?

	Kire (kire@nada.kth.se)

ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) (05/24/91)

In article <KIRE.91May24135500@cyklop.nada.kth.se> kire@cyklop.nada.kth.se (Jan-Erik M}ngs) writes:
>The System 7.0 CD can be shared without problems, but if I
>select "Sharing..." for Dev.CD Vol. VII, I get a dialog that
>says "One or more items could not be shared, because not all
>volumes are available for file sharing."
>
>Why? Is it on purpose or is it a bug?
>
>	Kire (kire@nada.kth.se)

The funny thing about this is that I had other version of the CD ROM installer
disk for version 3.1 and everything worked fine.  When I looked on ftp.apple.com
I ftp'ed what I assumed was a more recent version of the drivers and installed
them and voila, the same disks that I could share before I installed the new
version of 3.1 come back with that same message.  The greatest thing about it
is that I copyed over the old installer with the installer thinking it would
be better.  Oh well.

Brian Moore
DCO Macintosh Consultant
ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/25/91)

kire@cyklop.nada.kth.se (Jan-Erik M}ngs) writes:

>The System 7.0 CD can be shared without problems, but if I
>select "Sharing..." for Dev.CD Vol. VII, I get a dialog that
>says "One or more items could not be shared, because not all
>volumes are available for file sharing."

>Why? Is it on purpose or is it a bug?

>	Kire (kire@nada.kth.se)

I think that when File Sharing is turned on it remembers all volumes online.
You won't be able to share more volumes because it wants all the previous ones
to be around. Shut File Sharing off and then turn it on again and it'll work.
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (06/01/91)

kire@cyklop.nada.kth.se (Jan-Erik M}ngs) writes:

>The System 7.0 CD can be shared without problems, but if I
>select "Sharing..." for Dev.CD Vol. VII, I get a dialog that
>says "One or more items could not be shared, because not all
>volumes are available for file sharing."

>Why? Is it on purpose or is it a bug?

A bug.  I spoke with Apple about it earlier today, and it seems that the
latest Developer CD (Lord of the Files) and DEVELOP CD (6) have some
incompatibility with System 7 FileSharing.  This is supposed to be an
exception rather than a rule.  I know that the QuickTime CD can be shared
but haven't tested anything else.

My biggest complaint about FileSharing (thus far) is the requirement that
I shut FileSharing down to change CD ROMs.  I want to set up a FileServer
and not kick everyone off when I mount a different CD.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com