[comp.sys.mac.system] 100 steps forward, 1 step back

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (05/28/91)

I find that copying files from one floppy to another with only a single
floppy drive is a more fiddly business under System 7.0 than it was under
6.0.x. The Finder seems to want another look at the destination disk
before reading the files off the source disk, leading to an extra disk
swap. Also, I've on occasion ejected a floppy with no files on it, only
to have the system immediately ask me for it back again.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Also, I'm one of those people who likes icons to automatically snap
to a grid by default. I particularly like the fact that with Finder 7,
holding down the command key *toggles* the state of the "always grid
drags" option, so that you can still position an icon freely if you
want to--this wasn't the case with previous Finders.

However, it would be nice to able to adjust the parameters of the
grid, particularly the staggered grid. I'd like to be able to reduce the
icon "phase" (offset between even and odd columns), so that the icons
look more like they're in definite horizontal rows. If anybody knows how
to do this, I'd love to hear about it.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
Beauty is only skin deep. But that's all you need.

ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.162054.3820@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>         Also, I've on occasion ejected a floppy with no files on it, only
>   to have the system immediately ask me for it back again.
>
>   Anyone else experienced anything similar?

I've seen this a few times.  When you cmd-E a disk, the system ejects the
disk and then asks you to re-insert it.  The second time you eject it the
system lets it go.

-- Ashwin.

phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (05/31/91)

In article <1461@mephisto.edu>, ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
> In article <1991May28.162054.3820@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>>         Also, I've on occasion ejected a floppy with no files on it, only
>>   to have the system immediately ask me for it back again.
>>
>>   Anyone else experienced anything similar?
>
> I've seen this a few times.  When you cmd-E a disk, the system ejects the
> disk and then asks you to re-insert it.  The second time you eject it the
> system lets it go.
>
> -- Ashwin.
I've seen it too - and a friend suggested Command-Shift-1 to eject the disk
from the internal drive instead, and that seemed to work - it didn't ask for
the disk again straight away. It definitely doesn't work the way it used to
(and IMHO this new way is wrong).

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
PO Box 147                ***************************************************
Liverpool  L69  3BX       "The contortionist has gone to put his feet up."
(UK) 051-794-3689         "Yes, it's a neat trick if you can do it..."

Christopher.C.May@dartmouth.edu (Christopher C. May) (06/03/91)

>In article <1991May28.162054.3820@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence >D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>>         Also, I've on occasion ejected a floppy with no files on it, only
>>   to have the system immediately ask me for it back again.
>>
>>   Anyone else experienced anything similar?
>
>I've seen this a few times.  When you cmd-E a disk, the system ejects the
>disk and then asks you to re-insert it.  The second time you eject it the
>system lets it go.
>
>-- Ashwin.

I have seen this too.  It is a damn nuisance when using the installer
for PageMaker 4.0.  I bought the educational edition last week, after
having installed System 7.0, and I could not get it to read the second
disk because it always asked for the first one back after ejecting it.
Finally I installed it on a nearby 6.0.5 machine, compressed
everything, and moved it over myself. . . hmph!  I presume this is the
same problem you fellows are discussing.

--ccm

Chris May
Dartmouth Med '93