[comp.sys.mac.system] Multiple files in Word under Sys 7

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/01/91)

Over the past 2 days I've had lots of problems - *really* nasty Folders
from Hell etc. - which I think are somehow related to opening several files
with Word from the Finder at once. The symptoms and circumstances are quite
confusing, so I won't attempt to describe them in detail. Worse, it may
have been caused by a WDEF virus which I caught during the 2 hours or so
when I had no protection running (Murphy's Law). Still, I wonder: has
anyone had problems after opening multiple files (5 or so) in Word 4.00A
under System 7?

About the same time I saw another strangeness: after running Eudora (Steve
Dorner's mail client) in the Comm. Toolbox mode, the dialogs etc. were
being shown/refreshed in a slow-motion mode - as if they were fed to the
screen at 1200 baud... Moreover, Chicago changed to a weird version, with
slashed zeroes! Can anyone shed some light on this?

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

In article <1991Jun01.051154.4894@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:

>About the same time I saw another strangeness: after running Eudora (Steve
>Dorner's mail client) in the Comm. Toolbox mode, the dialogs etc. were
>being shown/refreshed in a slow-motion mode - as if they were fed to the
>screen at 1200 baud... Moreover, Chicago changed to a weird version, with
>slashed zeroes! Can anyone shed some light on this?

The TrueType chicago has slashed zeroes.  There is a setting in the font
manager that will make outline fonts be used whenever possible.  TrueType fonts
are slower than bitmapped fonts.  This only explains WHAT happened, not WHY.