[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.1!!

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (05/31/91)

Well, forget 7.0.2 that I mentioned in my last post, it's 7.1.  The press
release that follows doesn't mention that it is version 7.1 officially, but
I know people who have seen it.  Now my only question is... WHEN can we get
this?? This is getting exciting. Take a look.....

APPLE INTRODUCES NEW UPGRADED MACINTOSH SYSTEM

CUPERTINO, CA (MAY 28) PR NEWSWIRE - Apple Computer Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL)
today announced an open scripting architecture, which builds upon Apple's
recently released System 7, an upgrade to the Macintosh computer operating
system.  This architecture provides a standard scripting platform for all
Macintosh third-party applications enabling users to customize applications
and automate repetitive tasks.

Scripting is an approach to application customization and development for
those who are not necessarily computer programmers. Macro languages, batch
files, and the HyperTalk  language are familiar approaches to user
scripting.  With System 7's InterApplication Communication as the
foundation, Apple is extending user scripting to allow users to combine the
capabilities of one or more applications.

InterApplication Communication (IAC) is a feature of System 7 allowing
applications to share data and functions, as was demonstrated by many
applications at last week's System 7 introduction.  "IAC provides the
foundation for a variety of rich software enhancements. The open scripting
architecture takes advantage of the flexibility and power IAC offers by
providing developers with a standard way to make their mainstream
applications scriptable,"  said Roger Heinen, Apple's vice president of
Macintosh Software Architecture.  "This open architecture brings the
consistency that Macintosh users expect to scripting, and opens up new
opportunities for developer innovation on the Macintosh."

Apple's Open Scripting Architecture provides a standard way for mainstream
applications to interact with any scripting application. This interaction
is based on the Apple events messaging language of System 7's IAC
technology, used by applications for sophisticated communication with other
applications.

The Open Scripting Architecture includes a set of standard Apple events and
a mechanism for announcing support of those standards. Standard Apple
events form a common vocabulary for application communication, and have
been published in the Apple events Registry. Through the Apple events User
Terminology mechanism, applications announce the Apple events which they
can receive from scripting systems.  Together, the Apple events Registry
and User Terminology form a standard application architecture for user
scripting.

The Open Scripting Architecture was developed in consultation with
scripting system developers UserLand Software and Simple Software. The
architecture will support UserLand's Remote Procedure Events (RPE), a basic
style of InterApplication Communication.

The Open Scripting Architecture strengthens the Macintosh computer's
usability.  "With scripting, the user gets more value out of his software
investment," said Michael Odawa, president of Simple Software. "Control
Tower ties separate applications together into a custom-built solution."

The standard architecture means new business opportunities for developers.
"The Apple events and scripting standards let us create an exciting new
class of application,"  said Jay Bartlett, marketing manager of Tactic
Software.  "Our Traffic Controller product acts as the yellow pages' of
applications which understand Apple events."

Developers found that the powerful network access of the System 7 IAC
architecture let them provide scripting across the network.  "The standards
defined by Apple lets QuicKeys communicate with applications, even on other
machines via the network," said Don Brown, vice president of CE Software.
"There' s no extra work for the user or developer; network access is
built-in to Apple' s IAC architecture, giving the user the capability to
share their information with others." Distribution at World Wide Developers
Conference

The Macintosh Open Scripting Architecture includes the Apple events
Registry and Apple events User Terminology definition.  Both were
distributed to developers last week at Apple's WorldWide Developers
Conference, as part of the Apple events Developers Toolkit.  The Developers
Toolkit also includes the Apple events Object Support Library and a number
of testing tools, and will be available from Apple this summer.

Apple, the Apple logo, and Macintosh are registered trademarks and
HyperTalk is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.

CONTACT:  Patty Tulloch of Apple Computer Inc., 408-974-5449.

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: TfChris              WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)

leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May30.232023.17762@wpi.WPI.EDU>, macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
> Well, forget 7.0.2 that I mentioned in my last post, it's 7.1.  The press
> release that follows doesn't mention that it is version 7.1 officially, but
> I know people who have seen it.  Now my only question is... WHEN can we get
> this?? This is getting exciting. Take a look.....
>

> APPLE INTRODUCES NEW UPGRADED MACINTOSH SYSTEM
>
> CUPERTINO, CA (MAY 28) PR NEWSWIRE - Apple Computer Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL)
> today announced an open scripting architecture, which builds upon Apple's
> recently released System 7, an upgrade to the Macintosh computer operating
> system.  This architecture provides a standard scripting platform for all
> Macintosh third-party applications enabling users to customize applications
> and automate repetitive tasks.
>
>	[rest of press release removed to save space, etc.]

	I hate to burst Chris' balloon (help?) but there is nothing in that press release that states anything about a future release of 7.0.  It is simply talking about what is now possible with _7.0_!  Because of IAC/Apple events, and the new 'User Terminology' component, it is possible to build scripting systems for the Mac.  Three companies, Userland (Frontier), CE Software (QuicKeys 2.1) and Simple Software (Control Tower) have all announced products which will provide this capability, and Apple has speculat

ed that it too may play the scripting game in the future.

Leonard Rosenthol

+ Leonard Rosenthol                | AppleLink: MACgician            +
+ Software Ventures                | GEnie:     MACgician            +
+ Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com | AOL:       MACgician            +

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (06/03/91)

In an article leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) rambles:

>	I hate to burst Chris' balloon (help?) but there is nothing in that
> press release that states anything about a future release of 7.0.  It is
> simply talking about what is now possible with _7.0_!  Because of IAC/Apple
> events, and the new 'User Terminology' component, it is possible to build
> scripting systems for the Mac.

Yea, I read the press release again, which is certainly pretty vague about
what they are saying. I guess I jumped the gun on saying "7.1".  Sorry,
can't help myself sometimes. ;-)

However, I do know that there IS at LEAST a version 7.0.2 floating around
with some Apple people, so i'm still trying to get a feeling for when the
"rest of us" will have the latest.  (I'm also wondering if Apple will take
these 7.0.x versions, that may possibly contain some bug fixes, and combine
it with some new spiffy features and call it 7.1.... hmmm...)

- Chris

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.045645.19985@wpi.WPI.EDU>, macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
|> In an article leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) rambles:

|> However, I do know that there IS at LEAST a version 7.0.2 floating around
|> with some Apple people, so i'm still trying to get a feeling for when the
|> "rest of us" will have the latest.  (I'm also wondering if Apple will take
|> these 7.0.x versions, that may possibly contain some bug fixes, and combine
|> it with some new spiffy features and call it 7.1.... hmmm...)

The other possibilty is that they may hold the bug fixes back
until they launch a new model.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu