[comp.sys.mac.system] Zoom boxes in Sys 7

ejb@think (Erik Bailey) (06/03/91)

printf("Hello world!\n");

I've been hacking around with Sys 7 & ResEdit 2.1, and I'm trying to figure
something out.  I edit the LAYO resource in System, and turn Zoom Boxes off
(they're too slow).  Then I restart, and they are still there!  Rebuilding
the desktop didn't help either (not that I thought it would, but...).

I also tried turning on Physical Icons, and that made no difference (I
wasn't sure what to expect with this one, so it doesn't bother me as much).

This is a bit annoying, since those ^&(_@#)&^ zoom boxes are a pain.  I
can't remember whether my 6.0.7 ones were on or off, but I do know one
thing: I had "snap to grid" on in 6.0.7, and it INSTANTANEOUSLY snapped to
the grid.  Under 7, it "moves" there, taking ~.5sec, which is really
unnecessary.

Any ideas?  Also, I used a program Layout 1.9 under 6.0.7... It seems to
work under 7 as long as I Quit the Finder (as has been discussed), but is
it safe to use it under 7?

Thanks a lot... --Erik

PS - I'm *still* trying to get the damn thing to display the floppy disk
icl8!!! Anyone figure this out yet? (Apple -- is this a bug or a feature?)

--
      Erik Bailey       | 7 Oak Knoll         | Thinking Machines Corp.
      ejb@think.com     | Arlington, MA 02174 | 245 First St.

ejb@think.com (Erik Bailey) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.161906.19787@Think.COM> I wrote:

>I've been hacking around with Sys 7 & ResEdit 2.1, and I'm trying to figure
>something out.  I edit the LAYO resource in System, and turn Zoom Boxes off

Well, I musta been pretty tired last night... As two people have already
pointed out in email (thanks guys!) there is no LAYO resource in sys7! So,
I think I answered my own question (below):

> [...]
>
>Any ideas?  Also, I used a program Layout 1.9 under 6.0.7... It seems to
>work under 7 as long as I Quit the Finder (as has been discussed), but is
>it safe to use it under 7?

I guess the answer is NO! It would appear that Layout *added* the LAYO
resource to my System file! (yes, I still have the 6.0.7 System on my hard
drive, but I am 99% sure I brought up the 7.0 System into ResEdit).  So,
folks, don't run Layout on System 7! :-)

--Erik