[comp.sys.mac.system] Icon-related wierdness in 7.0

jgray@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Jeff Gray) (05/31/91)

Two questions:

1)  The Finder will now display ics# icons in the Apple menu and as the
active application for the Application menu when it can, but if there
isn't such an icon available,  it will revert to the old trick of
shrinking a 32x32 icon into a 16x16 space, frequently resulting in
an amorphous black blob.  So I thought I'd be clever and add
ics# icons to old applications so the small icons would display better.
But I'm running on a Classic and even though I can examine existing
ics# resources in b/w, if I try to create one myself it says I can't
because I don't have color.  Is there another resource type that does
the same job or a way to edit color icons in b/w?

2)  I have a couple international keymaps and under 7.0 the SICN flags that
used to show up in the Keyboard control panel next to the name of the keymaps
are now gone.  Looking at the System with Resedit, the KCHR and SICN
resources are all there and the ID numbers still match.  The strange
thing is that I connected an external drive that was still running 6.0.7,
and when I opened the keyboard control panel (the Sys 7.0 version),
the SICN flags had reappeared, but went away again after disconnecting the
external drive.  Can anyone make sense of this behavior?

Jeff Gray
jgray@balboa.eng.uci.edu

tcwan@umiami.ir.miami.edu (05/31/91)

In article <2845F5FC.16755@orion.oac.uci.edu>, jgray@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Jeff Gray) writes:
> Two questions:
[first question about editing ics# using a b/w mac deleted -- I don't know the
answer :( ]

> 2)  I have a couple international keymaps and under 7.0 the SICN flags that
> used to show up in the Keyboard control panel next to the name of the keymaps
> are now gone.  Looking at the System with Resedit, the KCHR and SICN
> resources are all there and the ID numbers still match.  The strange
> thing is that I connected an external drive that was still running 6.0.7,
> and when I opened the keyboard control panel (the Sys 7.0 version),
> the SICN flags had reappeared, but went away again after disconnecting the
> external drive.  Can anyone make sense of this behavior?
>
> Jeff Gray
> jgray@balboa.eng.uci.edu

I don't know about the external drive, but I'd hazard to guess that it booted
off the external under 6.0.7 first, so you SICNs will appear correctly?

Anyway, I discovered that keyboard flags are now of types kcs#, kcs4, kcs8.
They have the same structure as ics#, ics4, ics8. What I did was to copy the
SICN into an ics# template (select the bitmap in edit mode, copy, and paste
into the ics# bitmap editor), and colorized it to get ics4 and ics8 icons.

Then, I created kcs#, kcs4, kcs8 resources with the same ID number as those
for the icons, and opened the ics# using the HEX Editor (not as an icon!),
selected everything, copied, and pasted into the kcs#, kcs4, kcs8 resources.

Now, if only there's an easy way to convert one resource type to the other...
(any clues??) I tried looking for the ICON editor template, but I guess it's
more complicated than that. :(

Note: do this on a copy of your system!! (a floppy system?)
I'm not responsible if you crash your drive. And please don't try this if you
don't know what you're doing.

Good Luck,
T.C. Wan
Dept. of ECE,
Univ. of Miami, FL

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (06/04/91)

1)  To edit 'ics#' resources on a Mac without Color Quickdraw, do this:
Open ResEdit Preferences, and create an RMAP resource with name 'ics#' and
content 'SICN', 1.  Now 'ics#' resources can be edited with the SICN
editor.  Don't forget to make the mask as well as the icon.

2)  In System 7, keyboard layouts are represented by icons of type 'kcs#'.
The data type is the same as 'ics#', so you can use the same trick as
above.
--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com  walker@math.scarolina.edu