[comp.sys.mac.system] Aliases again

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/01/91)

Here is a little problem I've encountered: some ASCII files can be
successfully opened by "dropping" them onto the Word application icon, but
*nothing happens* when I drop them onto a Word alias. Shouldn't aliases
behave (in this regard) exactly like the application they point to? Is it a
bug?

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.194622.4942@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:
> Here is a little problem I've encountered: some ASCII files can be
> successfully opened by "dropping" them onto the Word application icon,
but
> *nothing happens* when I drop them onto a Word alias. Shouldn't aliases
> behave (in this regard) exactly like the application they point to?

They do, a feature I find terribly convenient. I suspect your trouble is
that those files, although ASCII, were not marked as being of type 'TEXT'.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
>In article <1991May31.194622.4942@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
>EJB writes:
>> Here is a little problem I've encountered: some ASCII files can be
>> successfully opened by "dropping" them onto the Word application icon,
>but
>> *nothing happens* when I drop them onto a Word alias. Shouldn't aliases
>> behave (in this regard) exactly like the application they point to?
>
>They do, a feature I find terribly convenient. I suspect your trouble is
>that those files, although ASCII, were not marked as being of type 'TEXT'.

Here's the setup: two volumes in addition to the boot volume: say Apps and
Docs.

Application (Word in this case) on Apps; its alias on Docs.

A TEXT file dropped on Word (on Apps) opens fine; it does not open when
dropped on Words alias (on Docs). This is weird, since the document is on
Docs, i.e. it likes the application on a different volume, but doesn't like
its alias on *the same volume*!

Now an experiment: copy Word to Docs; same document dropped on this Word
opens - no surprise. Make an alias which points to that local copy of Word
- now dropping works with that "local" alias too!

There may be some simple reason for this, but I stand by my gripe: aliases
*do not* behave like applications, unless everything is on the same volume.
This may be particularly important in network situations. Am I nitpicking?

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (06/02/91)

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:

[lots of stuff deleted]

>Here's the setup: two volumes in addition to the boot volume: say Apps and
>Docs.

>Application (Word in this case) on Apps; its alias on Docs.

>A TEXT file dropped on Word (on Apps) opens fine; it does not open when
>dropped on Words alias (on Docs). This is weird, since the document is on
>Docs, i.e. it likes the application on a different volume, but doesn't like
>its alias on *the same volume*!

>Now an experiment: copy Word to Docs; same document dropped on this Word
>opens - no surprise. Make an alias which points to that local copy of Word
>- now dropping works with that "local" alias too!

>There may be some simple reason for this, but I stand by my gripe: aliases
>*do not* behave like applications, unless everything is on the same volume.
>This may be particularly important in network situations. Am I nitpicking?

I believe that there is a very simple reason for this. On the Apps
drive, the desktop has the information from the Word application - thus
it knows how to open the various documents that word can handle. On the
Docs drive, the desktop does not include Word's bundle information. (It
apparently does not come with the alias - probably to save space.) Thus
the finder doesn't know what application to open.

Suggested solution: copy word to the Docs drive, then delete it. The
bundle information will remain in the desktop files until you rebuild
the desktop. Not a perfect solution, but it should work. (Note that I
haven't tried this, so if it doesn't work, don't blame me! :) )

Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                   draphsor@leland.stanford.edu

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/02/91)

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:
>ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:
>[lots of stuff deleted]
>
>>[ditto]
>
>Suggested solution: copy word to the Docs drive, then delete it. The
>bundle information will remain in the desktop files until you rebuild
>the desktop. Not a perfect solution, but it should work. (Note that I
>haven't tried this, so if it doesn't work, don't blame me! :) )

Sure enough, it works! I'd think that the alias should contain this
information and modify the desktop file accordingly upon being copied. A
semi-bug, I guess... Thanks, Matt!

--

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun01.033937.8241@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:

>There may be some simple reason for this, but I stand by my gripe: aliases
>*do not* behave like applications, unless everything is on the same volume.
>This may be particularly important in network situations. Am I nitpicking?

I think aliases do behave as you expected.  I don't have Word, but I tried
this with MacWrite II.  I had MWII on disk A.  I created an alias and
dragged the alias to disk B.  I could drop TEXT documents on the alias
regardless of where the the document was.

On the other hand, the information about what types can be dropped onto an
app (or alias) is stored in the desktop database.  So I tried rebuilding the
desktop, and then the alias stopped working if the document and app/alias
have different creator IDs.  (If the document and app have the same creator
ID, then dropping still works.)

The solution is to get the information back into the desktop database by
either copying the app or a fresh alias onto the disk.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)