[comp.sys.mac.system] Color Look Up Table: Apple folks, please read!

howie@ssc-vax.UUCP (The Humbug Wizard @ The Emerald City) (06/03/91)

This is aimed primarily at any of the Cupertino folks who frequent the
net, though if anyone else has an answer, it will be welcome.

I took a class last week which included a section on "stack" design
and layout, with some Art Theory thrown in for good measure.  The question
came up during the lecture on "why is the Color Look Up Table organized
the way it is?"  That is, why are the colors arranged on it the way they are?

I have a copy of the "Human Interface Guidelines" book and it doesn't say
anything about it that I could see.

Does anyone have an answer and can tell it?

--
INTERNET: howie@apal.boeing.com  or  h.modell@ieee.org
UUCP: uw-beaver!bcsaic!apal!howie        COMPMAIL: h.modell

In article <4053@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> howie@ssc-vax.UUCP (The Humbug Wizard @ The Emerald City) writes:
>This is aimed primarily at any of the Cupertino folks who frequent the
>net, though if anyone else has an answer, it will be welcome.
>
>I took a class last week which included a section on "stack" design
>and layout, with some Art Theory thrown in for good measure.  The question
>came up during the lecture on "why is the Color Look Up Table organized
>the way it is?"  That is, why are the colors arranged on it the way they are?
>
>I have a copy of the "Human Interface Guidelines" book and it doesn't say
>anything about it that I could see.
>
>Does anyone have an answer and can tell it?

I can't tell you why-- I suspect it was ease of calculating the table, but
that's just cynicism....  Up to index D6, the blue value is
$FFFF - $3333 * (index mod 6), the green value is $FFFF - $3333 * (index/6
mod 6), and the red value is $FFFF - $3333 * (index/36 mod 6)-- that is, all
three values cycle downward $3333 at a time, at different rates.  After that,
the pure reds that weren't caught by that algorithm are there, in decreasing
order of intensity, followed by the pure greens, followed by the pure blues.