[comp.sys.mac.system] 2 Live Finder 7 bugs

shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) (06/03/91)

#1.  This bug involves the comment box in the Get Info window, so get
     info on something that will let you enter a comment.  Try typing a
     colon in the comment field... I'll bet you can't!  The finder turns
     colons into dashes here.  I'll bet Apple forgot that there were
     going to be other TextEdit boxes other than those for editing disk
     and file names (which you can't have a colon in).

#2.  The next bug may be trickier to reproduce; who knows, it could be
     just a Mac Plus (4MB RAM, 40 MB HD) thing.  Anyway, at the Finder:
       a. Insert a floppy disk.  Make sure that the only thing new that
          appears is the disk icon; if any of the disk's windows open
          up along with it (you probably "Put Away" the disk while
          these windows were open), then close all the windows, then
          unmount the disk ("Put Away"), THEN re-insert it.  This is
          important that all of the disk's windows be closed by
          default.
       b. Now, double click the disk's icon.  It's root window should
          appear.
       c. Eject the disk (but don't unmount it).
     Here's the bug.  After ejecting the disk, the Finder immediately
     asks for the disk back again, with the "Please Insert the Disk..."
     dialog box!  This is really annonying.  I'm out of disk labels,
     so the only way to label the disk is to write on it with a nice
     permanent marker.  To do this, I have to insert the disk, and
     open the disk's root window so I can see what files are on it,
     hence the bug.  I wouldn't mind much, except that the "Insert
     the disk..." box is strategically placed to cover the disk's
     window.  I must be in the habit of closing all the windows before
     I unmount the disk.

     There is a work-around:
       a. Insert disk.
       b. Open disk.
       c. Eject disk.
       d. Finder will complain, re-Insert disk.
       e. Eject disk.

     It's like the Finder wants to write out changes to the disk's
     Desktop file, except that it forgets until you eject the disk.

As with all System 7.0 bugs, we can rest easier if someone else can
duplicate or disprove them, so please post or email.

   Tom... Tommy... Thomas... the Tom-ster, the Tom-boy, the Tomminator...
   ... Tom Shores, Department of Mathematics, University of Nebraska.
   ... shores@fergvax.unl.edu

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) (06/03/91)

shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) writes:

>#1.  This bug involves the comment box in the Get Info window, so get
>     info on something that will let you enter a comment.  Try typing a
>     colon in the comment field... I'll bet you can't!  The finder turns
>     colons into dashes here.  I'll bet Apple forgot that there were
>     going to be other TextEdit boxes other than those for editing disk
>     and file names (which you can't have a colon in).

You can view by comments in list views, I guess that's the reason...

--
//  Norton Chia || I can be reached via e-mail  -->  norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU /
/ Micro Support || Yes, this is Australia calling. //////  AppleLink: AUST0240 /

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/04/91)

In article <shores.675925949@fergvax>, shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) writes:
|> #1.  This bug involves the comment box in the Get Info window, so get
|>      info on something that will let you enter a comment.  Try typing a
|>      colon in the comment field... I'll bet you can't!  The finder turns
|>      colons into dashes here. [...]
Repeatable on my IIcx. I suspect the real reason is that
searches using Find can search by comment, and it's just
possible that allowing colons in comments could break
something (colons aren't allowed in file names, because
they are used as path separators). Still, this is annoying,
and I consider it a bug.
|> #2.  The next bug may be trickier to reproduce; who knows, it could be
|>      just a Mac Plus (4MB RAM, 40 MB HD) thing.  Anyway, at the Finder:
|>        a. Insert a floppy disk.  Make sure that the only thing new that
|>           appears is the disk icon
[...]
|>        b. Now, double click the disk's icon.  It's root window should
|>           appear.
|>        c. Eject the disk (but don't unmount it).
|>      Here's the bug.  After ejecting the disk, the Finder immediately
|>      asks for the disk back again, with the "Please Insert the Disk..."
|>      dialog box!
Does it on my IIcx as well.
|>      There is a work-around:
Much simpler (for the purpose you describe): lock the disk
before inserting it. This also looks like something that
should be fixed.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

weiss@curtiss.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/04/91)

In article <shores.675925949@fergvax> shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) writes:
>   Tom... Tommy... Thomas... the Tom-ster, the Tom-boy, the Tomminator...

Making disk copies... :)  (sorry, couldn't resist)
--
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -