[comp.sys.mac.system] Problem with startup screens and Sys 7.0 VM

gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (05/24/91)

I've noticed an apparent problem when trying to use a startup screen under
System 7.0 with virtual memory turned on.

Configuration: Mac IIcx, 5M RAM, Apple 80M internal drive (with 6.0.5), Apple
40M external drive (with 7.0). A startup screen document is present at the
top level of the 7.0 System Folder. VM on, 8M total.

Symptom: On booting, just after the startup screen is drawn, the machine
crashes with a bomb dialog saying:

	Not enough memory available while using
	[Blank line here]
	To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift
	key.

This situation occurs repeatably, even with no extensions of any kind
present. Startup screens appear to work fine under System 7.0 with VM off.

I tried a startup screens made by different applications (Giffer 1.08,
MacPaint 2.0) and made one as small as I could (about 25K); the result was
the same.

I suppose that this should not be too surprising. Startup screens need to
allocate some memory early in the boot process; evidently this is not
entirely compatible with setting up the VM memory mapping.

Interesting Note: When I first tried to use a startup screen, under 7.0 where
did I put it? In the Startup Items folder, of course; where else would it go?
Of course, this resulted in the screen _document_ being opened by the
application that created it after the boot process was over. That's what the
Startup Items folder is for, after all! If it's to work in the normal way
(with VM off, apparently), the startup screen needs to be at the top level of
the System Folder

						- John Gersh

gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu 	        {backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplcomm!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20723		       (301) 953-5503

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May23.211636.21537@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) writes:
>I've noticed an apparent problem when trying to use a startup screen under
>System 7.0 with virtual memory turned on.
>
>Configuration: Mac IIcx, 5M RAM, Apple 80M internal drive (with 6.0.5), Apple
>40M external drive (with 7.0). A startup screen document is present at the
>top level of the 7.0 System Folder. VM on, 8M total.
>
>Symptom: On booting, just after the startup screen is drawn, the machine
>crashes with a bomb dialog saying:
>
>	Not enough memory available while using
>	[Blank line here]
>	To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift
>	key.
>
>This situation occurs repeatably, even with no extensions of any kind
>present. Startup screens appear to work fine under System 7.0 with VM off.

There must be another variable in your equation. 8^) I have a 231k color
startupscreen and am running VM. No problems at all.

Configuration: Mac IIsi, 5M RAM, Apple 40M internal (7.0), Relax
46M external (6.0.7). A startupscreen is present at the top level
of the system 7.0 folder. VM ON, various amounts over the past few days
8M to 12M, currently 10M.

jim
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud  | Sys-

gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun1.181635.20248@silvlis.com> jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:
>In article <1991May23.211636.21537@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) writes:
>>I've noticed an apparent problem when trying to use a startup screen under
>>System 7.0 with virtual memory turned on.
>>
>>Configuration: Mac IIcx, 5M RAM, Apple 80M internal drive (with 6.0.5), Apple
>>40M external drive (with 7.0). A startup screen document is present at the
>>top level of the 7.0 System Folder. VM on, 8M total.

>There must be another variable in your equation. 8^) I have a 231k color
>startupscreen and am running VM. No problems at all.
>
>Configuration: Mac IIsi, 5M RAM, Apple 40M internal (7.0), Relax
>46M external (6.0.7). A startupscreen is present at the top level
>of the system 7.0 folder. VM ON, various amounts over the past few days
>8M to 12M, currently 10M.

Could the additional variable be the model (IIcx vs. IIsi)? I gather
that startup screens are handled by ROM boot code (though I could be
wrong here), so that it might not be surprising that the problem isn't
seen on a later machine.