[comp.sys.mac.system] Changing Label Colour Bug

mrn@eplunix.UUCP (Mark R. Nilsen) (05/30/91)

Hello MacNeters,

Try this one out.  I was able to duplicate it constantly.  I am
running vannila 7.0.

My monitor is set for 16 gray levels (beautiful icons & windows).  I
go into the control panels and double click on labels.  I then click
on the coloured squares (mine are shades of gray) and the color
picker dialog comes up (see IM vol. VI).  At this point I notice
that the shade of my montitor is munged.  I pick a new color for a
label and click the O-kay button.  When I get back to the desktop I
have the pretty gray scale windows, but all my icons are 1 bit deep.
I can get my monitor looking right if I go to the monitors control
and set it to black & white then back to 16 grays.

--Mark.
--
"To skilled assembly language	      |	Mark Nilsen.
programmers, the 8088 is perhaps the  |

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (06/01/91)

In article <1087@eplunix.UUCP>, mrn@eplunix.UUCP (Mark R. Nilsen) writes:
> My monitor is set for 16 gray levels (beautiful icons & windows).  I
> go into the control panels and double click on labels.  I then click
> on the coloured squares (mine are shades of gray) and the color
> picker dialog comes up (see IM vol. VI).  At this point I notice
> that the shade of my montitor is munged.  I pick a new color for a
> label and click the O-kay button.  When I get back to the desktop I
> have the pretty gray scale windows, but all my icons are 1 bit deep.
> I can get my monitor looking right if I go to the monitors control
> and set it to black & white then back to 16 grays.

OK, I've just done some experimentation, and it definitely does
it in 16 grays. It also does it in 16 *colours* and 256 grays,
but *not* in 256 colours! Figure that one out...

Is this such a problem though? How often will you be changing
your labels? (I know, I know, there's probably people out there
who change theirs every day :-)

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) (06/02/91)

Well it really isn't a bug, it just bugs me !!! :-)  Has anyone managed
to get rid of the 'pastel' colours of the folders in 8-bit colours.  I
haven't had a chance to fiddle with ResEdit yet, but I'm sure it can
be done.  (Is there an option buried in the Finder somewhere that I
missed ?)  All I want is full rich colour (or is that gordy ?) without
the grey bits :-)
                        Thanks,
                        Michael

\    Michael Antolovich in sunny North Queensland (where it's bloody hot!)    /
 \                         chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au                            /
  \_________________________________________________________________________/

rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD) (06/04/91)

In <1087@eplunix.UUCP> mrn@eplunix.UUCP (Mark R. Nilsen) writes:

>My monitor is set for 16 gray levels (beautiful icons & windows).  I
>go into the control panels and double click on labels.  I then click
>on the coloured squares (mine are shades of gray) and the color
>picker dialog comes up (see IM vol. VI).  At this point I notice
>that the shade of my montitor is munged.  I pick a new color for a
>label and click the O-kay button.  When I get back to the desktop I
>have the pretty gray scale windows, but all my icons are 1 bit deep.
>I can get my monitor looking right if I go to the monitors control
>and set it to black & white then back to 16 grays.

Yes, as I wrote a few days ago it seems that if you select colour
things when in greyscale, system 7 gets into trouble.  Note it doesn't
happen when you have `grey' or B/W selected (obviously!).  So what's
happened?  Why aren't colour and greyscale treated similarly?