[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 qs: Sharing, Printer, Etc.

system@dorsai.com (Dorsai Sysop) (05/26/91)

I just upgraded to System 7, and after a week, have fallen in love. It's
wonderful. Even though I'm running on a four-year-old, 2.5 meg SE, it's
still wonderful - and yes, I *can* run two programs (usually ZTerm and MS
Word) at a time, so there. :-)
However, I have a few problems, one of which may mean that I'll have to
switch back to System 6. I don't want to do this, so if you can, please help
me.
1) How does one share files with a System 6 computer? To use file sharing,
do both computers have to be running 7? If not, what software should I get
for the System 6 machine?

2) How does one attach icons to desk accessories so the icons show up on the
Apple menu? I've figured out that you have to de-suitcase the DA to put the
icon on, but once I re-suitcase it (even with its new icon!) the icon goes
back to generic. Bug or feature?

3) THIS IS THE CRUCIAL ONE. Why does System 7 not recognize my printer? I
have the Jetwriter printer driver/hardware combo running my HP Laserjet IIP.
The Jetwriter is produced by Insight and Extended Systems, and is a
combination of a high-speed interface and a MacPrint-type driver for the
Mac. It works terrifically with System 6.
When I tried to select it with 7's Chooser, everything seemed fine. I
clicked on the JetWriter icon, watched the "change your Page Setup!" dialog
box, and closed the Chooser. But no mattrer what I do, the computer insists
I have no printer selected. When I go to Page Setup or Print, it tells me
that I have no printer selected and must go to the Chooser, which I do, and
it doesn't help.
Extended and Apple have both not been terribly helpful. Extended System's
response was, "System 7? Oh, we don't have a copy of that." Apple said, "If
it's an rdev, it'll work. (It is, type PRER.) TattleTale says it's present,
available, and ready to open.
Am I going mad? I need my printer!
Thanks,
----Sascha

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (06/02/91)

system@dorsai.com (Dorsai Sysop) writes:

>1) How does one share files with a System 6 computer? To use file sharing,
>do both computers have to be running 7? If not, what software should I get
>for the System 6 machine?

   Install AppleShare on the System 6.x system.

   And don't forget to update all those System 6.x machines to the same
   LaserWriter driver found on the System 7 disks (that is if you are
   sharing a LaserWriter with users still running 6.x)

-- Pat ---------------------------------> hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov

vossron@Apple.COM (Ronald N. Voss) (06/05/91)

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:

>system@dorsai.com (Dorsai Sysop) writes:

>>1) How does one share files with a System 6 computer? To use file sharing,
>>do both computers have to be running 7? If not, what software should I get
>>for the System 6 machine?

>   Install AppleShare on the System 6.x system.

>   And don't forget to update all those System 6.x machines to the same
>   LaserWriter driver found on the System 7 disks (that is if you are
>   sharing a LaserWriter with users still running 6.x)

You have to update to the new PrintMonitor and Backgrounder as well.
The "Printer Update" script on the 7.0 "Printing" disk takes care of it all.

Ron

--
Ron Voss          Apple Computer         I speak only for myself.