[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 7 & Disk Drive Compatibility

j.cook@primerd.prime.com (06/01/91)

I've run the compatibility checker, but it did not check the rev of my disk
driver utility - no information available when it was put together.

MacWeek did publish a couple articles (30-Apr-91 and 7-May-91) on System 7
and third-party disk driver compatibility.  A number of people asked about
these articles, but there has not been any responses, so I thought I'd post
an excerpt - the two compatibility tables.  As this is a brief excerpt, this
should be legitimate with regard to copyright laws.

Neither I, nor Prime, nor Apple, nor MacWeek makes any claims regarding the
accuracy of the following information nor are we responsible for any errors,
typographic.  For up to date copies of the drivers, see your drive vendor or
manufacturer or who you bought the drive from.  Please don't send email to
me - I don't know any more than what you see here.

Important:  See notes and asterisk (*) explanations at the bottom.

Drive vendor: Alliance Peripheral Systems
Current Utility Version: Alliance Power Tools 1.13
Required for System 7: 1.1 or later
Required for full VM: 2.0 ***
Upgrade Cost: Not set

Drive vendor: CMS Enhancements
Current Utility Version: CMS SCSI Utilities 6.0.4
Required for System 7: 6.0 or later
Required for full VM: 6.1 ***
Upgrade Cost: free or $25

Drive vendor: DJK Development
Current Utility Version: SCSI Director Professional 1.7.2
Required for System 7: SDSI Director 1.6 or later
Required for full VM: 1.6 or later
Upgrade Cost: Free

Drive vendor: Ehman
Current Utility Version: DHH Formatter 3.27
Required for System 7: 3.0 or later
Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
Upgrade Cost: not set

Drive vendor: GCC Technologies
Current Utility Version: Drive Manager 6.3
Required for System 7: 7.0 ***
Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Jasmine Technologies
Current Utility Version: DriveWare 1.79
Required for System 7: 1.77 or later
Required for full VM: 1.77 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: La Cie
Current Utility Version: Silverlining 5.28
Required for System 7: 5.27 (5.3 *** recommended)
Required for full VM: 5.3 **
Upgrade Cost: $25 - $50 ****

Drive vendor: Mass Microsystems
Current Utility Version: PadLock 2.85
Required for System 7: 2.7 or later
Required for full VM: 2.7 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: MicroNet Technology
Current Utility Version: MicroNet SCSI Utility 5.0.8
Required for System 7: 5.0 or later
Required for full VM: 5.0 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Microtech International
Current Utility Version: Microtech Utilities 3.27
Required for System 7: 3.0 or later
Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
Upgrade Cost: free or $10

Drive vendor: Mirror Technologies
Current Utility Version: MediaManager 2.04
Required for System 7: 1.36 or later
Required for full VM: still testing
Upgrade Cost: free if req.

Drive vendor: Peripheral Land
Current Utility Version: Formatter 3.1
Required for System 7: 3.1
Required for full VM: 3.1
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Rodime Systems (also see below)
Current Utility Version: Rodime Driver Utility 2.2.1
Required for System 7: 2.1 or later
Required for full VM: 2.1 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Rodime Systems (also see above)
Current Utility Version: Cobra Driver Utility 1.1.4
Required for System 7: 1.1.0 or later
Required for full VM: 1.1.0 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Software Architects
Current Utility Version: FormatterOne 3.29
Required for System 7: 3.0 or later
Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
Upgrade Cost: $20 - $40

Drive vendor: Storage Dimensions
Current Utility Version: MacinStor Installer 3.01
Required for System 7: 3.01 or later
Required for full VM: 3.01 or later
Upgrade Cost: Free or $15

Drive vendor: SuperMac
Current Utility Version: Manager 4.1.3
Required for System 7: 3.26 and later ****
Required for full VM: 4.2 **
Upgrade Cost: Free or $20

Drive vendor: Optima
Current Utility Version: DiskMount 2.4
Required for System 7: 2.4
Required for full VM: 2.4
Upgrade Cost: Free

Drive vendor: HDI/Wholesale 54
Current Utility Version: Disk Manager Mac 2.25
Required for System 7: 2.24
Required for full VM: 2.24
Upgrade Cost: Free

Drive vendor: Third Wave
Current Utility Version: Disk Manager Mac 2.24
Required for System 7: 2.24
Required for full VM: 2.24
Upgrade Cost: Free

Drive vendor: Liberty
Current Utility Version: FormatterOne v. 3.27 *****
Required for System 7: 3.27 *****
Required for full VM: 3.4 **
Upgrade Cost: Free or $20

Drive vendor: Club Mac
Current Utility Version: SCSI Director 1.72
Required for System 7: 1.65 or later
Required for full VM: 1.65 or later
Upgrade Cost: $10

Drive vendor: Relax
Current Utility Version: Relax Installer 1.11
Required for System 7: Testing incomplete
Required for full VM: Testing incomplete
Upgrade Cost: Free

NOTES:
"Required for full VM" - In some cases drivers support virtual memory use,
                         but installer utility cannot be used while virtual
                         memory is on.

"Upgrade cost" - Price depends on which version the user currently owns,
                 whether a manual is included, and whether the upgrade is
                 downloaded or mailed.

*** - Scheduled for release in near future.

**** - "Mostly compatible," according to SuperMac.

***** - Liberty Utility discontinued; not compatible.

jesse@cs.UAlberta.CA (Jesse Lee) (06/04/91)

j.cook@primerd.prime.com writes:

>I've run the compatibility checker, but it did not check the rev of my disk
>driver utility - no information available when it was put together.

>MacWeek did publish a couple articles (30-Apr-91 and 7-May-91) on System 7
>and third-party disk driver compatibility.  A number of people asked about
>these articles, but there has not been any responses, so I thought I'd post
>an excerpt - the two compatibility tables.  As this is a brief excerpt, this
>should be legitimate with regard to copyright laws.

>Drive vendor: Ehman
>Current Utility Version: DHH Formatter 3.27
>Required for System 7: 3.0 or later
>Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
>Upgrade Cost: not set

I should have read this article before I installed System 7.0 on my
Ehman 45+ external hard disk. I install 7.0 + 6.0.7 on the hard disk
which is formatted under driver version 2.2.8 and I use system switcher 1.1
to switch between the two systems. When I boot the System 6.0.7, the
message "Welcome to Macintosh" disappears. Moreover, I run MacTools Deluxe
and it shows the catalog files and the boot block are damaged. I phoned
Ehman Company this morning and they are going to send me a new driver
of version 3.29 for $15. This version will not work either if one is
going to use VM. Version 3.4 will not be available until next month.

							Jesse Lee

Jesse Lee			  | UUCP:     jesse@alberta.uucp
Department of Computing Science   | Internet: jesse@cs.ualberta.ca
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T6G 2H1

t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu (06/05/91)

In article <jesse.676052216@menaik> jesse@cs.UAlberta.CA (Jesse Lee) writes:
>I should have read this article before I installed System 7.0 on my
>Ehman 45+ external hard disk. I install 7.0 + 6.0.7 on the hard disk

You should have read the news HERE more carefully. A warning about
Ehman software was posted here a week or so back!!!!!!!!!