[comp.sys.mac.system] Cleaning up with System 7

leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) (05/30/91)

Is it just me or is the new Clean Up function completely useless?
Clean up window does nothing if you have files set to align automatically,
and Option-Clean Up does some kind of organize-by-name function that spreads
files out over a huge area, leaving me to retrieve them all back to being at
least somewhere near each other.
I want my old Option-Clean Up back, where I can move all my files together
in one spot!!!!

Or is there I trick I missed in Finder Shortcuts???

cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) (06/01/91)

In article <17525@chaph.usc.edu>, Justin Leavens writes:
|Is it just me or is the new Clean Up function completely useless?

	Is it just me or is USENET full of whiners like Leavens
	who are never satisfied with their free software?

---
cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com      C J Silverio/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"One may be continually abusive without saying anything just; but one
cannot be always laughing at a man without now and then stumbling on
something witty."  --Jane Austen

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/01/91)

In article <17525@chaph.usc.edu> leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) writes:
>Is it just me or is the new Clean Up function completely useless?
>Clean up window does nothing if you have files set to align automatically,

??? What do you expect it to do? Aren't your icons, then, already
"cleaned up"???

>and Option-Clean Up does some kind of organize-by-name function that spreads
>files out over a huge area, leaving me to retrieve them all back to being at
>least somewhere near each other.

The only time I see my files spread out after I do an Option-CleanUp
is when my icon names are very wide. In that case, the Finder spreads
the icons out so that their names don't overlap. It was probably felt
that this was an even cleaner 'Clean Up'.

Otherwise, Option-CleanUp should work much the same as it did before.
In other words, it will put as many icons as it can fit in the window
horizontally before moving down to the next line. This hasn't changed
in 7.0.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/01/91)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <17525@chaph.usc.edu> leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) writes:
>>Is it just me or is the new Clean Up function completely useless?
[hmmm...]

[...]
>Otherwise, Option-CleanUp should work much the same as it did before.
>In other words, it will put as many icons as it can fit in the window
>horizontally before moving down to the next line. This hasn't changed
>in 7.0.

In fact, this is another subtle change (unless I'm seeing things...) It
fits as many icons as it can *vertically* first, i.e. the axes are
reversed. It may be more logical, but takes time to get used to!

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (06/02/91)

I think it uses the vertical axis for small icon views and horizontal
for large icons.  I can't figure out why it does this.

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (06/02/91)

In article <53555@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <17525@chaph.usc.edu> leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) writes:
>>Is it just me or is the new Clean Up function completely useless?
>>Clean up window does nothing if you have files set to align automatically,
>
>??? What do you expect it to do? Aren't your icons, then, already
>"cleaned up"???

No, actually.  Try this:  Turn on "Always snap to grid" in the Views Control
Panel.  Open a window with a bunch of documents in it.  Make sure it's cleaned
up.  Now, take an icon, and drag it over another.  It will snap to the grid,
ON TOP OF that icon.  Add another.  And another.  Pick "Clean up".  Nothing.
The problem is, this can happen accidentally (either you just missed the spot,
or, I've seen it happen during copy operations), and if the item on the bottom
has a shorter name, it can disappear from view!

>>and Option-Clean Up does some kind of organize-by-name function that spreads
>>files out over a huge area, leaving me to retrieve them all back to being at
>>least somewhere near each other.
>
>The only time I see my files spread out after I do an Option-CleanUp
>is when my icon names are very wide. In that case, the Finder spreads
>the icons out so that their names don't overlap. It was probably felt
>that this was an even cleaner 'Clean Up'.

Well, I disagree with whomever thought that!  Give me back the way it worked
in 6!  I'd much rather have the names overlap the icons a bit (yes, I use
staggered grid -- can anybody tell me how to change the stagger spacing??????)
than have the files look like an explosion happened in the folder, leaving
HUGE amounts of blank space lying around, and forcing me to scroll the window.
If the Mac supports file names of up to 32 characters, then people who take
advantage of that feature shouldn't be screwed over.  I'd really rather have
the names overlap, and save the space!

>Otherwise, Option-CleanUp should work much the same as it did before.
>In other words, it will put as many icons as it can fit in the window
>horizontally before moving down to the next line. This hasn't changed
>in 7.0.

Wrong again!  It works BETTER than it did before, in one respect.  It fits
them in the window.  None of this "I can fit a little bit of it in the window;
they won't mind having to scroll half an icon-width" business from the System
6 and before days.

All in all, I think the Apple folks did a great job with 7.0.  I'm looking
forward to 7.0.1, however, when a few of the little annoying bugs are fixed.
More than that, I'm looking forward to 7.1, when the printing architecture is
supposed to show.  I DO wish whoever wrote the ReadMe wouldn't have put the
"Rock Solid" graphic at the top.  A remarkable first-release it is.
Rock-solid it ain't.  :-)

Thanks, Apple!  I love the Macintosh!

--Mike

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (06/03/91)

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:

>I think it uses the vertical axis for small icon views and horizontal
>for large icons.  I can't figure out why it does this.

Look at the filenames.  Note that in small icon view they appear beside
the icon and in full icon view, below.  Note also that when you do a "Clean
Up", it won't move things so that icons cover part of a name.  The algorithms
to do this are easier with small icons going top to bottom, since you will
still end up with them in the "right" order and it will be easier to pick
the one you want out visually (scanning is simpler).  At least this is what
John Sullivan told me when explaining it at the WWDC.

--

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun1.004002.21319@odin.corp.sgi.com> cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) writes:

>	Is it just me or is USENET full of whiners like Leavens
>	who are never satisfied with their free software?

Well, I don't know what agreement YOU made with Apple, but they told me they
were a software company, and when I gave them a few thou for my computer, it
was in exchange for mediocre hardware and the System software.  That software
is how Apple moves its boxes, and nobody would buy a Mac without getting that
software (and before you say it, part of that software package is Apple's
history of providing it without charge.)

"Free"?  Not likely.

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun01.045709.10442@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:

>In fact, this is another subtle change (unless I'm seeing things...) It
>fits as many icons as it can *vertically* first, i.e. the axes are
>reversed. It may be more logical, but takes time to get used to!

If you you the opt-Clean Up command, then the Finder will lay out the icons
differently depending on whether yo uare View by Icon or View by Small Icon
mode.

If in View by Icon, it lays out icons horizontally so that you can read
the name across.  If in View by Small Icon, it lays them out vertically so
you can read the names down the columns.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) (06/05/91)

In article <49912@ut-emx.uucp>, Allen Wessels writes:
In article <1991Jun1.004002.21319@odin.corp.sgi.com> cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) writes:
|>	Is it just me or is USENET full of whiners like Leavens
|>	who are never satisfied with their free software?
|Well, I don't know what agreement YOU made with Apple, but they told me they
|were a software company, and when I gave them a few thou for my computer, it
|was in exchange for mediocre hardware and the System software.

	Is it just me, or is this another whiner?

	Go for it, dude.  If your Mac is so mediocre, why did you
	buy it?  Go ahead and sell it just to spite Apple.  Meanwhile,
	I'll continue to be delighted and happy with my free system software.

---
cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com      C J Silverio/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"He must be an oddity, I think," said she.  "I cannot make him out.
There is something very pompous in his style.  Can he be a sensible
man, sir?"  --Pride & Prejudice.