[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder 7.0 cosmetic bug #5875487

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (05/23/91)

1) Open "Views" Control Panel.
2) Select view font size; type 5 <return>
3) Click OK on the resulting alert
4) When the alert disappears, the number indicating the font size is
   garbage.

Or, try this.  Make sure your Finder Views is set to Geneva 9 pt.
1) Pick a random Finder window.
2) View by Small Icon.
3) Click in the zoom box to shrink the window to the smallest possible
   size to hold all the icons.  Scroll bars should become all white.
4) Open "Views"
5) Change the font size to 6.
6) Change the font size back to 9.
7) Now view the window whose zoom box you clicked.  The size is no longer
   correct, i.e, the scroll bars are reactivated.

I can consistently reproduce both of these bugs.  Mac SE/30 2/40, 7.0 Golden.
--
---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.203654.21332@midway.uchicago.edu> tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) writes:
>1) Open "Views" Control Panel.
>2) Select view font size; type 5 <return>
>3) Click OK on the resulting alert
>4) When the alert disappears, the number indicating the font size is
>   garbage.
>
>Or, try this.  Make sure your Finder Views is set to Geneva 9 pt.
>1) Pick a random Finder window.
>2) View by Small Icon.
>3) Click in the zoom box to shrink the window to the smallest possible
>   size to hold all the icons.  Scroll bars should become all white.
>4) Open "Views"
>5) Change the font size to 6.
>6) Change the font size back to 9.
>7) Now view the window whose zoom box you clicked.  The size is no longer
>   correct, i.e, the scroll bars are reactivated.
>
>I can consistently reproduce both of these bugs.  Mac SE/30 2/40, 7.0 Golden.

I tried the two sequences on a IIfx 8/160 with 7.0 copied from a dealer and
I didn't get the behavior you describe.  In the first case, the size was back
to the original value (9) after the alert.  In the second case, after switching
to size 6, the icons seemed to move up but this is probably because characters
size 9 are taller than the small icons while 6 is not.  But the scroll bars
were not activated.  I then switched back to size 9 and the window was back
to its original status without the scroll bars activated.

Jerome

Jerome Plun            []  Is it a crime to want something else?
jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu    []  Is it a crime to believe in something different?
Washington University  []
St Louis, MO           []  "Smalltown England", New Model Army, Vengeance

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.203654.21332@midway.uchicago.edu> tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) writes:
>1) Open "Views" Control Panel.
>2) Select view font size; type 5 <return>
>3) Click OK on the resulting alert
>4) When the alert disappears, the number indicating the font size is
>   garbage.

Didn't work for me (Mac IIci 8mb/80Quantum plus 40mb syquest [both
formatted with silverlining], 32-bit mode , no virtual)

>Or, try this.  Make sure your Finder Views is set to Geneva 9 pt.
>1) Pick a random Finder window.
>2) View by Small Icon.
>3) Click in the zoom box to shrink the window to the smallest possible
>   size to hold all the icons.  Scroll bars should become all white.
>4) Open "Views"
>5) Change the font size to 6.
>6) Change the font size back to 9.
>7) Now view the window whose zoom box you clicked.  The size is no longer
>   correct, i.e, the scroll bars are reactivated.

I didn't try this one. too much work! :-)

>I can consistently reproduce both of these bugs.  Mac SE/30 2/40, 7.0 Golden.
>--
>---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
>---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975
>"Please to be restful.  It is only a few           Chicago IL 60680
>crazies who have from the crazy place outbroken."    --------------

--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu	Stuart M Castergine
        "The key to speaking Elvish is to know a lot of Elvish words."
                                                --Sgacity

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (05/29/91)

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) writes:

>1) Open "Views" Control Panel.
>2) Select view font size; type 5 <return>
>3) Click OK on the resulting alert
>4) When the alert disappears, the number indicating the font size is
>   garbage.

Ok...  Close the window and check it again :)

>Or, try this.  Make sure your Finder Views is set to Geneva 9 pt.
>1) Pick a random Finder window.
>2) View by Small Icon.
>3) Click in the zoom box to shrink the window to the smallest possible
>   size to hold all the icons.  Scroll bars should become all white.
>4) Open "Views"
>5) Change the font size to 6.
>6) Change the font size back to 9.
>7) Now view the window whose zoom box you clicked.  The size is no longer
>   correct, i.e, the scroll bars are reactivated.

Ok...  Now close the window and reopen it, and it will be fine...

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (06/05/91)

In article <aland.675528021@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu writes:

[my cosmetic bug description]

>Ok...  Close the window and check it again :)

[another cosmetic bug description]

>Ok...  Now close the window and reopen it, and it will be fine...

Well, I didn't say these were MAJOR bugs...