[comp.sys.mac.system] TrueTypes and Bitmaps together?

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (05/22/91)

I try to keep up with this newsgroup, but I don't think I've seen this
particular question before.  Then again, I could be wrong.

Especially with all of the new shareware TrueType fonts around, the suitcases
that are supplied contain both the TrueType and several bitmapped versions
of the same font.  Is there any point in keeping them both, or is the
TrueType version enough?

Thanks.

--
Lance M Orner           | To get a hold of me --
  Computer Engineering  |   --from Internet:        lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu

brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) (05/22/91)

In <1991May21.232030.23869@ecst.csuchico.edu>, lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu
(Lance Orner) asks:

> Especially with all of the new shareware TrueType fonts around, the
> suitcases that are supplied contain both the TrueType and several
> bitmapped versions of the same font.  Is there any point in keeping them
> both, or is the TrueType version enough?

The default behavior of the Font Manager is to use a bitmap if it is
available for the specified size; this default can be overridden by the
application.  Especially in smaller sizes, bitmaps will often look better.
E.g., Adobe's Helvetica 7 bitmap is much nicer than TrueType's rendering
of Helvetica 7.

--
brecher@btr.com (Steve Brecher)

steve@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Steve Stein) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.232030.23869@ecst.csuchico.edu> lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) writes:

>  Especially with all of the new shareware TrueType fonts around, the suitcases
>  that are supplied contain both the TrueType and several bitmapped versions
>  of the same font.  Is there any point in keeping them both, or is the
>  TrueType version enough?

First of all, since there seems to have been some confusion on this point,
it IS possible to have bitmap fonts coexisting with the same TT fonts
in the same system.  If the system wants a size for which there is a bitmap,
the bitmap will be used.  If there is no bitmap of the desired size,
the TT font is used.

Now, why would you WANT to do it this way?

1. Bitmaps for certain fonts may be clearer on the screen than the
   hinted TT fonts.  One example recently posted here was the "cl"
   combination in some small Times sizes coming out looking like "d".

2. There may be some incompatability in your particular applications
   between the widths and linespacing of the characters in the TT
   font and those of the bitmap font.  If you have existing documents,
   upgrading to TT may change your line or page breaks.  Installing
   the particular bitmaps used by your old documents will cure any
   incompatability problems which may arise.

(Regarding this second point: Bitstream has been particularly careful
to maintain width and heighth compatability wherever possible.  It is
possible to achieve compatability in *almost* all cases, but not all.
I don't know the situation with other font manufacturers.)

- Steve Stein
- Bitstream, Inc.

(OBVIOUS DISCLAIMER: I work for Bitstream, Inc.)

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (05/28/91)

In article <2855@public.BTR.COM> brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:
>The default behavior of the Font Manager is to use a bitmap if it is
>available for the specified size; this default can be overridden by the
>application.  Especially in smaller sizes, bitmaps will often look better.
>E.g., Adobe's Helvetica 7 bitmap is much nicer than TrueType's rendering
>of Helvetica 7.

This brings up a related bug in the Mac OS.  Say you have Times 50 point
installed as well as Times Roman, Italic, Bold, and BI TrueType installed
as well.  Type some text in 50 point, then italicize it.  What you get
is QuickDrawed italics, not real Times Italic font.  I assume that
this is because Apple uses the braindead _RealFont.

Seriously, Apple, isn't it time to create a toolbox utility for telling
whether high-quality fonts are available?  OutlineAvailable is nice,
but you have to first set outline prefs to false, setup a grafport,
call OutlineAvailable, and then set outline prefs back.  Talk about a
hack...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com

espen@ikaros.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (05/29/91)

In article <189@eclectic.COM> kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
> This brings up a related bug in the Mac OS.  Say you have Times 50 point
> installed as well as Times Roman, Italic, Bold, and BI TrueType installed
> as well.  Type some text in 50 point, then italicize it.  What you get
> is QuickDrawed italics, not real Times Italic font.  I assume that
> this is because Apple uses the braindead _RealFont.

This is a really annoying bug, not for exotic sizes like 50 points, but
for the standard sizes where the installer by default installs bitmap
fonts for you.  Does this mean I have to throw out all the  bitmap
versions of e.g. Times to get access to the Times TrueType Italics fonts?

It was also annoying that the Installer replaced my (Adobe bitmap)
Palatino fonts, which also made Palatino Italics show up as
QuickDraw-slanted Palatino.  Guess I'll throw them away and put back the
Adobe version.

On the other hand, I notice that Helvetica Narrow works again (it stopped
working with the introduction of Sys. 6.0.4!), which means I don't have to
reboot the machine with 6.0.3 to get some old documents with Helvetica
Narrow in their graphichs printed!!

BUT, what I really would like would be TrueType versions of all the
standard LaserWriter fonts.  Do I have to BUY them?  Why don't Apple
supply real screen support for the fonts that are in their printers??
Anyway - is there a way I could do this by myself - extract the fonts out
of the printer and convert them to TrueType?

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo
P.o. Box 1053 Blindern
N-0316 OSLO 3
NORWAY                            espen@ikaros.uio.no

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/29/91)

Espen J. Vestre writes:
>standard LaserWriter fonts.  Do I have to BUY them?  Why don't Apple
>supply real screen support for the fonts that are in their printers??

Because the fonts in Apple's printers are owned by Adobe, and licensed
for use in LW's.  Apple can't use those fonts outside the LW's without
paying additional licensing fees to Adobe.  Avoidance of those licensing
fees is the only substantial reason I can see for TrueType to exist at all.

Basically, you have to wait for Apple to recreate those fonts in TrueType
form.  (Or buy ATM and the Plus Pack, and be done with it.)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (06/01/91)

espen@ikaros.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) writes:

>In article <189@eclectic.COM> kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
>> This brings up a related bug in the Mac OS.  Say you have Times 50 point
>> installed as well as Times Roman, Italic, Bold, and BI TrueType installed
>> as well.  Type some text in 50 point, then italicize it.  What you get
>> is QuickDrawed italics, not real Times Italic font.  I assume that
>> this is because Apple uses the braindead _RealFont.

>This is a really annoying bug, not for exotic sizes like 50 points, but
>for the standard sizes where the installer by default installs bitmap
>fonts for you.  Does this mean I have to throw out all the  bitmap
>versions of e.g. Times to get access to the Times TrueType Italics fonts?

Well, not precisely. It means that to get good-looking screen fonts, you
have to download a neat little program from sumex-aim called bitfont.
You can then use this program to create italicized bitmaps in your
favorite sizes from the TrueType fonts themselves. However, make sure
you remove the bitmaps from your system before doing this, or bitfont
also will find the bitmaps first. After you've created your italicized
bitfonts, you can replace both bitmap fonts.

Thanks go to Chang.P.Woo@mac.dartmouth.edu for pointing out that you
have to remove the bitmapped 'straight' version before making the italic
version using bitfont.

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                   draphsor@leland.stanford.edu

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (06/02/91)

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (that's me) writes:

> ...to get good-looking screen fonts, you
>have to download a neat little program from sumex-aim called bitfont.

(Taking foot out of mouth.) I just checked, and bitfont is not actually
available on sumex-aim (although it probably should be). It is, however,
available from mac.archive.umich.edu. The path is:

mac/utilities/font/bitfont.sit.hqx

For a description of why you'd want this little utility, see my previous
post.

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                   draphsor@leland.stanford.edu

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May29.144244.18178@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>Basically, you have to wait for Apple to recreate those fonts in TrueType
>form.  (Or buy ATM and the Plus Pack, and be done with it.)

Except Apple isn't recreating them.  They're still licensing them through
type houses.  The current TrueType set, I believe, is licensed through
Monotype (?).

Ken

--

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (06/03/91)

In article <draphsor.675749830@elaine39.Stanford.EDU>
draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:
> Well, not precisely. It means that to get good-looking screen fonts, you
> have to download a neat little program from sumex-aim called bitfont.
> You can then use this program to create italicized bitmaps in your
> favorite sizes from the TrueType fonts themselves. However, make sure
> you remove the bitmaps from your system before doing this, or bitfont
> also will find the bitmaps first. After you've created your italicized
> bitfonts, you can replace both bitmap fonts.
>
> Thanks go to Chang.P.Woo@mac.dartmouth.edu for pointing out that you
> have to remove the bitmapped 'straight' version before making the italic
> version using bitfont.

Thanks alot! But, I decided to save disk space and rather live with
somewhat ugly fonts, so I removed all the bitmapped versions of the
TrueType fonts...

But then - Helvetica Narrow (which I thought was acting ok again after
being unusable in systems 6.0.4-6.0.7) strikes again!!!  When I select a
size of Helvetica which I also have a Helvetica Narrow bitmap font for,
Helvetica Narrow shows up on the screen!
Could someone please finally explain me what's wrong with Helvetica
Narrow???

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo
P.o. Box 1053 Blindern
N-0316 OSLO 3
NORWAY                            espen@math.uio.no

neff@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (06/04/91)

>But then - Helvetica Narrow (which I thought was acting ok again after
>being unusable in systems 6.0.4-6.0.7) strikes again!!!  When I select a
>size of Helvetica which I also have a Helvetica Narrow bitmap font for,
>Helvetica Narrow shows up on the screen!
>Could someone please finally explain me what's wrong with Helvetica
>Narrow???

I can't explain it, but Helvetica Narrow has given me problems too.
I removed all Helvetica Narrow fonts (I only had bitmaps) from my
System (7) file.  There were no more Helvetica Narrow fonts in the
system.  I tripple checked.  But EVERY application insisted Helvetica
Narrow was available for use, yet when I would try to apply this font
attribute I would only get the default font (Geneva I think).  Finally,
I just gave up and put the helv bitmaps back in my system.  After all, if
the applications are gonna insist I have the font, I might as well really
have it.  These were not True Type fonts of course, just the bitmapped fonts
that are optional fonts for the DeskWriter (I also have
Helvetica Narrow outline fonts but those are only used by the DeskWriter
printer driver when printing, not for screen display).

Maybe the system has some sort of check like this :-)

if (helvetica_narrow)
   BeTotallyWeird(sometimes);

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) (06/05/91)

---
kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
|In article <1991May29.144244.18178@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
|>Basically, you have to wait for Apple to recreate those fonts in TrueType
|>form.  (Or buy ATM and the Plus Pack, and be done with it.)
|
|Except Apple isn't recreating them.  They're still licensing them through
|type houses.  The current TrueType set, I believe, is licensed through
|Monotype (?).

	One thing you can do is spend $90 or so on
	AltSys's Metamorphosis, which will convert
	Type 1 fonts to TrueType outlines.  The results
	aren't quite as nice as hand-converted outlines,
	but they're not bad.

---
cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com      C J Silverio/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"The absence of any corrective action year after year can only be explained
by bureaucratic rigidities and the abject worship of that bitch-goddess,
cost reduction."  --Ralph Nader, in Unsafe at Any Speed

espen@math.uio.no (06/05/91)

In article <1930006@hp-vcd.HP.COM> neff@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Dave Neff) writes:
>>But then - Helvetica Narrow (which I thought was acting ok again after
>>being unusable in systems 6.0.4-6.0.7) strikes again!!!  When I select a
>>size of Helvetica which I also have a Helvetica Narrow bitmap font for,
>>Helvetica Narrow shows up on the screen!
>>Could someone please finally explain me what's wrong with Helvetica
>>Narrow???
>
>I can't explain it, but Helvetica Narrow has given me problems too.
>I removed all Helvetica Narrow fonts (I only had bitmaps) from my
>System (7) file.  There were no more Helvetica Narrow fonts in the
>system.  I tripple checked.  But EVERY application insisted Helvetica
>Narrow was available for use, yet when I would try to apply this font
>attribute I would only get the default font (Geneva I think).  Finally,
>I just gave up and put the helv bitmaps back in my system.  After all, if
>the applications are gonna insist I have the font, I might as well really
>have it.  These were not True Type fonts of course, just the bitmapped fonts
>that are optional fonts for the DeskWriter (I also have
>Helvetica Narrow outline fonts but those are only used by the DeskWriter
>printer driver when printing, not for screen display).

I experienced just what you describe.  To stop Helvetica Narrow from appearing
in font menus, I had to use ResEdit to remove the FOND resource.

But then for the good news: It seems I have finally managed to clean it up now,
by using some newer Helvetica Narrow fonts I found on a local server.  I can't
tell their origin, but I suspect them to have come with a newer printer.  The
font suitcase included style fonts for all the LW Plus/IINT(X) fonts, but no
TrueType fonts.

So if you have a Helvetica Narrow problem, try to get hold of fresh screen
fonts, for instance fonts supplied with a recently buyed Laser Printer!  To be
sure, I would recommend removing every trace of the old fonts with ResEdit
before installing the new ones.

-espen