[comp.sys.mac.system] How to turn off System 7 zoomrects

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (06/05/91)

Here's a way to turn off zoomrects in System 7:

1) Open a copy of the Finder with Resedit 2.1
2) Open the Code resource
3) Open Code ID 4 (yep, you need to decompress it)
4) Select Find Offset and look for 0078. This should take you to a line
   reading 48E7 1F38 594F 2F0F.
5) Select 4 bytes (i.e., 48E7 1F38)
6) Replace with the following: 6000 00E6.  This represents a BRA
   instruction around the code that does zoomrects).
7) Save the copy of the Finder and close ResEdit.
8) Make the copy of the Finder the real thing.  Put the old one in a safe
   place in case something went wrong.  Reboot.  Open a window.  Nirvana.

Note: this patch was put together by Danny Brewer at Farallon Computing.
I can't guarantee it'll work for you, so proceed with caution.  I can
say that it certainly works for me.  I'll bet it makes Timbuktu Remote
operate more quickly, as well :-).

John Heckendorn
--
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A

ejb@think.com (Erik Bailey) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun5.145552.16047@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>Here's a way to turn off zoomrects in System 7:
>
>1) Open a copy of the Finder with Resedit 2.1
>2) Open the Code resource
>3) Open Code ID 4 (yep, you need to decompress it)
>4) Select Find Offset and look for 0078. This should take you to a line
>   reading 48E7 1F38 594F 2F0F.
>5) Select 4 bytes (i.e., 48E7 1F38)
>6) Replace with the following: 6000 00E6.  This represents a BRA
>   instruction around the code that does zoomrects).
>7) Save the copy of the Finder and close ResEdit.
>8) Make the copy of the Finder the real thing.  Put the old one in a safe
>   place in case something went wrong.  Reboot.  Open a window.  Nirvana.
>
> [...]
>
>John Heckendorn

THANK YOU!!!  I haven't tested this myself, but (assuming it works) this
will save a LOT of aggravation.  Now why didn't Apple make this easier to
do...? *sigh*

--
      Erik Bailey       | 7 Oak Knoll         | Thinking Machines Corp.
      ejb@think.com     | Arlington, MA 02174 | 245 First St.