[comp.sys.mac.system] Solution to Help! I've lost my hard disk icon

dcw@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David C. Worenklein) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun5.050241.23920@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> I wrote:
>I replaced my hard disk's icon with a neat picture of Hobbes (you know, Calvin
>and Hobbes...) Then somehow the icon got eaten, and I'm left with a dumb
>document icon (piece of paper with folded corner) Whenever I try to paste
>into the hard disk's get icon box, I get the message "The command can not
>be completed, because it could not be found." (Is that proper grammer?)
> I tried everything I could think of, then finally went for broke by going
>back to system 6.0.5, deleting the Desktop DB and DF files, and rebuilding
>the desktop in 7, but the icon's still a document, and it's still irreplacable.
>
>What do I do?

Here's what I did...

I stuck a blank disk into the drive and pasted an icon into its get info box.
I then went into ResEdit and "Got File/Folder info" for the file "Icon" on
the blank disk. I unchecked the "invisible" box. Then I went into the finder
and dragged the (now visible) "Icon" file onto my Hard Drive. I then returned
to ResEdit and made the "Icon" file invisible on both drives. Then I went
back to finder and pasted the Hobbes icon onto my hard drive - and it worked!
:-) Finally, I cleared the icon from my floppy disk - but this isn't really
essential.

Hope this helps some people!
David C Worenklein CC '93 | No one could tell me where my soul might be.
Columbia University       | I searched for God, but He eluded me.
in the City of New York   | I sought out my brother and found all three.-Crosby