[comp.sys.mac.system] Looking for a good screen shooter

bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) (06/05/91)

I need to take some screen shots with menus pulled down. I'm sure that
this has been solved many times in the past -- but the utilities that
I have found don't seem to work.

Does anyone know af a reliable utility -- and where to get it?

	System: 7.0 or 6.0.5
	Machine: SE/30 (with an external monitor)o

Thanks.
Bruce Beare
bjb@pyramid.com

In article <157819@pyramid.pyramid.com>, bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:
> I need to take some screen shots with menus pulled down. I'm sure that
> this has been solved many times in the past -- but the utilities that
> I have found don't seem to work.
>
> Does anyone know af a reliable utility -- and where to get it?
>
> 	System: 7.0 or 6.0.5
> 	Machine: SE/30 (with an external monitor)o
>
> Thanks.
> Bruce Beare
> bjb@pyramid.com

I just stumbled across the 'camera' DA. It does the job as long as I
put the menu bar on the 9-inch screen. The about box doesn't say whether
it's shareware or freeware -- Does anyone know?

Bruce

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (06/05/91)

In article <157819@pyramid.pyramid.com>,
bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:

>I just stumbled across the 'camera' DA. It does the job as long as I
>put the menu bar on the 9-inch screen. The about box doesn't say whether
>it's shareware or freeware -- Does anyone know?

Probably freeware.  One caution, though:  Camera defaults to sending
the image to the printer.  This DOES note work with a DeskWriter
(at least), so you'll end up tying up your machine for several
minutes while it prints garbage if you don't remember to select the
correct output option.  Camera doesn't remember the settings, either.

This a standard technique for writing documentation, so I'm sure
that there are better methods out there.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

fprefect@caen.engin.umich.edu (Matt Slot) (06/05/91)

 Try Flash-It, its a Control Panel and I think its shareware.
I know its 7-compatible, and it should be ok on sys6.

 It's available at Sumex-but only with some weird name.

fprefect@caen.engin.umich.edu
Matt Slot (to the real world)

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (06/05/91)

bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:
>I need to take some screen shots with menus pulled down. I'm sure that
>Does anyone know af a reliable utility -- and where to get it?
>	System: 7.0 or 6.0.5
>	Machine: SE/30 (with an external monitor)o

Well, I don't know about reliable, but the header on the file says it was
a version designed to be compatible with sys 7:

anonymous ftp from

sumex-aim.stanford.edu (or mirrors)
cd info-mac/cdev
flash-it-22b1.hqx (compacted (grrrr...))

It is configurable in several ways (dump to file, to printer..., with pointer,
without pointer...)

--
Brian Aslakson
    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/06/91)

In article <157824@pyramid.pyramid.com> bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:
>In article <157819@pyramid.pyramid.com>, bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:
>> I need to take some screen shots with menus pulled down. I'm sure that
>> this has been solved many times in the past -- but the utilities that
>> I have found don't seem to work.
>>
>> Does anyone know af a reliable utility -- and where to get it?
>
>I just stumbled across the 'camera' DA. It does the job as long as I
>put the menu bar on the 9-inch screen. The about box doesn't say whether
>it's shareware or freeware -- Does anyone know?

Brian Bechtel just announced a week ago that he put such a utility
on ftp.apple.com (130.43.2.3). Also, there is some DTS sample code
that does this (it's the FKEY sample -- I forget which number it is).

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo