[comp.sys.mac.system] User Monitor as Startup Item...

stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) (06/05/91)

Strikes me that one of the first things a user would want to do when
file sharing under System 7, is watch the users that log on and off...
I know that's what I wanted to do! :-)

There is a definate usability problem, with the User Monitor
control panel though, and that is that the file server services are
not started until well after boot, and after the startup items have
run.  If the User Monitor control panel is opened prior to network
services initiation, User Monitor responds with an alert and will
not proceed.

I actually like the fact that file server services start after boot,
but would suggest that Apple consider making the User Monitor's control
panel "smart" enough to recognise that the service is "going to" start,
and open anyway.. cos I'm getting pretty.. well.. frustrated at having
to launch this manually everytime I restart!.

Stu.

--
stui@avalon.uucp
stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (06/06/91)

In article <1CE00001.hds213@avalon.caladan.wa.com> stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) writes:

>There is a definate usability problem, with the User Monitor
>control panel though, and that is that the file server services are
>not started until well after boot, and after the startup items have
>run.  If the User Monitor control panel is opened prior to network
>services initiation, User Monitor responds with an alert and will
>not proceed.

The forthcoming package from CESoftware QuicKeys 2.1, will have an
extension called "Wait," I believe, which will allow you to start something
(a sequence, or say a File... which will launch the Control Panel) x minutes/
seconds/days, etc. after the Mac starts up, and this will solve
your problem.

Steve Klingsporn
Goof