[comp.sys.mac.system] System 6.0.7

Arthur.Yuter@f823.n102.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Arthur Yuter) (10/16/90)

The system shipping with all the new macs is v. 6.0.7.  Other than support
for the particular new machines, this system permits a CDev sound recorder
via external microphone.  Question:  does this system "fix" any known
problems with v. 6.0.5 or earlier?

--
Arthur Yuter via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!102!823!Arthur.Yuter

b1y1m39@bagate.BELL-ATL.COM (Bob Esposito) (10/17/90)

	Accroding to the Read Me file distributed on the System Tools
	disk, "You must use HyperCard 2.0 with System Software 6.0.7.
	HyperCard 1.2.5 or any earlier version is not compatable with
	System Software 6.0.7"

	I new IIfx (1 month old) shipped with HyperCard 1.2.5 - anyone
	know where I can get 2.0?????

Bob Esposito                                  Voice:    (215) 466-6831
Bell Atlantic Corp.                             FAX:    (215) 466-2593
Philadelphia, Pa.                            E-mail: espo@BELL-ATL.COM

esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran) (10/26/90)

I know I am kind of late but can someone please tell me where I
can ftp system 6.07  I know it is in apple.com, but I can not find it
By the way why do the folders have such strange names at that ftp
site.

Thanks in advance,
Eran Shtiegman
Please Email to : esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/27/90)

/* ---------- "system 6.07" ---------- */
I know I am kind of late but can someone please tell me where I
can ftp system 6.07  I know it is in apple.com, but I can not find it
By the way why do the folders have such strange names at that ftp
site.

It's in pub/dts/sw.license

dts = developer tools and services

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) (01/05/91)

I have a problem...

My best friend just bought a Mac Classic and being the closest thing to a Mac
Hacker he know's, he had me setup his system.  I did the normal install program
that ships with the system.  In addition, I added the Vaccine CDEV that I had.
The computer would crash on startup every time.  I had a couple of other things
in there also but the system stopped crashing when I removed Vaccine.  Does
anybody know what's wrong?  Is there a new Vaccine CDEV that is compatible with
System 6.0.7?

But wait there's more.  After I got it up and running, he started to copy his
old floppies on to his hard drive.  While browsing through one of them (he was
scrolling through the file listing), he gota "bomb" that said the math
coprocessor couldn't be found.  Of course, there is no math coprocessor in a
Mac Classic, but why the hell is anything looking for one?  Particularly the
system or finder!  We copied the disk and everything scrolled fine, but I
really don't like seeing system errors like that.  Anybody know anything about
this?

If anybody know's anything about these errors, please e-mail me.  e-mail is
best since I barely have time to read the 2 new groups I do subscribe to, let
alone this one also.

Thanks,
Eric Bennett

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (unix box ) | "Put a stamp on it!"
cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu    (NeXT cube) |           -Fab 5 Freddy
"Don't make me wait... Come in to my house."    -Queen Latifah

jxf@altair.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (01/06/91)

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) writes:

[ ... ]

>But wait there's more.  After I got it up and running, he started to copy his
>old floppies on to his hard drive.  While browsing through one of them (he was
>scrolling through the file listing), he gota "bomb" that said the math
>coprocessor couldn't be found.  Of course, there is no math coprocessor in a
>Mac Classic, but why the hell is anything looking for one?  Particularly the
>system or finder!  We copied the disk and everything scrolled fine, but I
>really don't like seeing system errors like that.  Anybody know anything about
>this?

I had a similar problem shortly after installing 6.0.7 on my SE/030.

I don't remember exactly what I was doing at the time, but I received the
error about the not being able to find the coprocessor.  However, I *do*
have a coprocessor on my system, hence this error bothered me a little
(for about thirty seconds).

I just rebooted and everthing appears to be ok, I haven't had the error
since.

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Systems Programmer               Kansas State University
                                        Department of Computing & Info Sciences

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan5.200409.3176@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jxf@altair.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) writes:
>
>[ ... ]
>
>>But wait there's more.  After I got it up and running, he started to copy his
>>old floppies on to his hard drive.  While browsing through one of them (he was
>>scrolling through the file listing), he gota "bomb" that said the math
>>coprocessor couldn't be found.  Of course, there is no math coprocessor in a
>>Mac Classic, but why the hell is anything looking for one?  Particularly the
>>system or finder!  We copied the disk and everything scrolled fine, but I
>>really don't like seeing system errors like that.  Anybody know anything about
>>this?
>
>I had a similar problem shortly after installing 6.0.7 on my SE/030.
>
>[...]

I have the same "Coprocessor not installed" error when I use Font/DA Mover
on my Macintosh Plus.  The error occurs when I open a font suitcase,
copy all fonts into another suitcase, and then try to remove all selected
fonts (thus deleting the suitcase).

Welp, looks like that good ol' 68882 is vital for copying fonts now! :)

bill

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (01/12/91)

In article <11685@goofy.Apple.COM> gak@apple.com (Greg Kimberly) writes:

> The problem is due to the fact that the DSError ID codes often are unreliable
> (after all, the Mac is busy crashing ...) 6.0.7 is the first release of
> the system that gives text versions of the error codes in an attempt
> to be more informative.  Oh well....
>
> Greg

So is it possible to find out what the *real* error is?

| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

6600dayl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Darryl "NOT Ug" Lee) (06/06/91)

ok...here's an odd one.  And it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with
System 7.0.  Our office just purchased a couple of SE/30's, one with 5
megs of ram, and one with 2.  They both came installed with 6.0.7.

The machines replaced an SE and another SE/30 that had a bum hd.
(they'll be handed down to some lucky student staffers...wheee)

ANYWAYS...i was trying to convince my boss that Suitcase WAS a
very necessary thing to have, but when i threw Suitcase 1.2.8 into his
System Folder, with his assortment of Quickmail, TOPS, and other
miscellaneous inits, it didn't even blink when i restarted...

no icon, no da, no nothing...

so i did the usual, remove all the inits/cdevs except suitcase
routine, but alas, still no luck...

then i upgraded to 1.2.10 and still the same problem.

i renamed it _(space)Suitcase, so that it would load first.  Still
nothing...

not even Sam Intercept was installed...

any ideas what the heck is going on?  Works on another SE/30 fine...
worse yet, works on the students' plus...

maybe a tip from the author?  :}

---Darryl Lee
   6600dayl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu