[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 and color Icons question

warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) (05/30/91)

I've been trying to incorporate some of my nice color
icl8 icons from sun desk (icon gallery) into the
programs themselves for finder 7.0.   Both ways I've
tried have failed:

    1.  Within ResEdit, I've selected the picture of the
        icon, switched to the finder and pasted it into
        the icon box in the Get Info Box for each file.
        The icon then looks like it lost some color/details
        (in the finder), but within ResEdit, the new icl8
        icon looks like it should.

    2.  Trying to get around the new box in the Get Info Box,
        I've copied the icon out of icon gallery (using
        ResEdit), then pasted it into a new icl8 resource
        in the file I'm trying to change.  I then make
        sure that the new icl8 resource ID matches the ID for
        the matching ICN# icon.  Then rebuilding the Desktop,
        the icon for the application becomes the default diamond
        and hand with pen icon.  ResEdit shows that the icons
        I have added are still there.  What's up with this?

  Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

**  Robert Warden                         warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu    **
**  University of Pennsylvania                  @gradient.cis.upenn.edu **
**                                                                      **
** "Even a broken clock tells the time correctly twice a day"           **
**                                            - Withnail & I            **

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (05/31/91)

In article <43894@netnews.upenn.edu> warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) writes:

>I've been trying to incorporate some of my nice color
>icl8 icons from sun desk (icon gallery) into the
>programs themselves for finder 7.0.   Both ways I've
>tried have failed:

Okay, try this one.  Use ResEdit, and open up sun desk.  Now, pick an App that
you want to add the icons to.  Copy it, and open the copy.  Double-click the
ICN# resource.  Double-click the icon you want to colorize.  You'll get the
nifty new icon-family editor.  Click the icl8 (which should be dimmed), and
you get the blank slate.  Now, go over to SunDesk, and copy the icl8 you want.
Switch back to the editor, and paste.  Tada!  You can also, now, drag the icl8
directly onto the icl4, and it will copy it, and do a respectable job of
dithering the colors.  You can also drag the icons to the ics counterparts, so
that they will show up in color in the Finder, the Apple Menu, etc.  If you do
that, make sure the small mask is correct.

After you get all the icons done, you can close the editor.  You should now
notice that the app contains new icl8, icl4, ics8, and ics4 resources, and all
the numbers will be right!  Repeat this process for each icon.

This works for me, although with icons I had for ColorDesk.  Hopefully, it
will work for you!

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (05/31/91)

Just to be clear, the ResEdit I meant in the last post was version 2.1.
Sorry, I caught the omission just as I hit "s".

--Mike

neuburg@campus.swarthmore.edu (06/04/91)

Warden) writes:

>I've been trying to incorporate some of my nice color
>icl8 icons from sun desk (icon gallery) into the
>programs themselves for finder 7.0.   Both ways I've
>tried have failed.

I was wondering when someone else would notice this. This may help:
When you paste a new icon into the Get Info box, a special alternate
icon is created. Examine this icon (it will be the first one,
with a large negative number) using ResEdit. Open the ICN# for it,
and look at the *mask* of your new icon. You will see, I suspect,
that the mask does not cover the entirety of the icon you pasted,
and this is why parts of it are getting lost.

I have no idea why this is. However, if you fill in the needed
bits in the mask by hand, the problem is solved.

Matt Neuburg

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (06/06/91)

In article <43894@netnews.upenn.edu> warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) writes:

>I've been trying to incorporate some of my nice color
>icl8 icons from sun desk (icon gallery) into the
>programs themselves for finder 7.0.   Both ways I've
>tried have failed:

I haven't had much luck, either.

>    1.  Within ResEdit, I've selected the picture of the
>        icon, switched to the finder and pasted it into
>        the icon box in the Get Info Box for each file.
>        The icon then looks like it lost some color/details
>        (in the finder), but within ResEdit, the new icl8
>        icon looks like it should.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but when I've tried this:

    a)	The old ICN# mask is kept.  If the icl8 isn't exactly the same
shape, it gets chopped.  I was able once to get both the revised mask
and the icl8 into one file, but it took half an hour of fiddling, and I
am not at all sure I can do it again (so don't ask me how I did it....)

    b)  A smooth color gradation develops dark gray bands when the
icl8 is selected.  Possibly I'm running into the problem of Apple's
infamous "34 colors."

BTW, to anyone else who wants to try this:  you can't paste an icl8
into the icon box in the Get Info window.  You have to open the icl8
in ResEdit and double-click the selection rectangle (thus selecting
the entire color icon area) and Copy it--this copies it as a PICT,
which can then be pasted into the icon box, but loses the mask in the
process.

From what someone said on the net earlier, if you can somehow get both
the icl8 and the ICN# on the clipboard at the same time, then pasting
into the icon box might work.  I don't know, I haven't yet found a way
to get both on the clipboard simultaneously.

>    2.  Trying to get around the new box in the Get Info Box,
>        I've copied the icon out of icon gallery (using
>        ResEdit), then pasted it into a new icl8 resource
>        in the file I'm trying to change.  I then make
>        sure that the new icl8 resource ID matches the ID for
>        the matching ICN# icon.  Then rebuilding the Desktop,
>        the icon for the application becomes the default diamond
>        and hand with pen icon.  ResEdit shows that the icons
>        I have added are still there.  What's up with this?

I haven't tried this exactly, so I can't comment.  I have noticed,
though, that when I edit files directly, the icon changes do not take
effect immediately, the way they do when I paste into the icon box of
the Get Info window.  Restarting seems to do the job, though, I
haven't noticed that I needed to rebuild the desktop.

>  Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Amen to that!  Especially if someone can find a quick way to do it.  I
have a hundred or so nice icl8s that I want to be able to use again,
but I can't afford to take a week off from work to salvage them!

>**  Robert Warden                         warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu    **
>**  University of Pennsylvania                  @gradient.cis.upenn.edu **
>** "Even a broken clock tells the time correctly twice a day"           **
>**                                            - Withnail & I            **

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   Freedom of speech:  1776-1991.  R.I.P.                              |