[comp.sys.mac.system] Help! File types keep reverting to generic 'document'

erics@erics.infoserv.com (Eric S. Smith) (06/04/91)

I have a Mac IIci with 8 MB RAM (recently upgraded from 5 MB), running
system 6.0.7. Recently I've noticed that the types of the files belonging
to many applications such as all word processors (MacWrite, Word,
WriteNow, TeachText, etc.) and others like HyperCard, GIFConverter,
etc. have been showing up as generic "documents" instead of documents
identified by the application. This of course means that double clicking
on them gives the dialog box "Application busy or missing". Strangely,
if the application is first opened it seems to fix ALL the file types
of that application on the disk. They may even remain correct for
some time after the application is closed, but will eventually revert
to the generic "document" type again.

Can anyone tell me what's happening? A couple things I've done recently
that may have coincided with this problem:

1. I tried out an application called APPL-Replacer, which replaces
the default application of a document with another application. In
my case I redefined MacWrite documents to belong to Word or WriteNow.
I didn't really like the results, so I got rid of the Replacer application.
This should only have affected MacWrite documents, although it may
have looked through all documents on the disk.

2. I recently started using the Desktop Manager INIT.

Eric Smith                 "Read my lips: No nude Texans!"
erics@infoserv.com         -George Bush, clearing up a miscommunication

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (06/06/91)

In article <01010077.vy21lc@erics.infoserv.com> erics@infoserv.com writes:
>... Recently I've noticed that the types of the files ...
>.... have been showing up as generic "documents" instead of documents
>identified by the application. This of course means that double clicking
>on them gives the dialog box "Application busy or missing".  ...
>
>2. I recently started using the Desktop Manager INIT.

You need to rebuild your desktop.  Reboot and then hold down Option and
Command until a dialog comes up.  The Desktop Manager uses a different
database for the application icons and locations.

--
Andy Peterman                       |  Everything you know
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  |       is wrong!