[comp.sys.mac.system] Riddle me this: Sys 7, installing fonts in applications, etc.

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (05/27/91)

Hmm. I've run into a snag in the snazzy new "No Font/DA mover needed"
System 7 interface. How on earth can you add fonts to applications?
I'm developing a little application which I want to use a non-standard
bitmap font in one of its windows. It used to be I could just use the
Font/DA mover to paste the necessary font resources into the
application's resource fork so that it could be sure they would always
be available. Nowadays, System 7 won't let me run Font/DA mover at
all, and I can't figure out how to coax the Finder into letting me
drag a font into an application. Anyone know of a solution?
--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/27/91)

why not use Font/DA Mover Version 4.1? It does work with 7.0. (Compat check
says "compatible")
It also lets you create new suitcases if you need them.

Hope that helps.

Oliver.

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (05/27/91)

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) asks how to add fonts to
applications.

Answer: ResEdit. Available from ftp.apple.com in the
dts/mac/tools/resedit directory.

Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                   draphsor@leland.stanford.edu

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (05/28/91)

In <draphsor.675290919@elaine39.Stanford.EDU> draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:

>elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) asks how to add fonts to
>applications.

>Answer: ResEdit. Available from ftp.apple.com in the
>dts/mac/tools/resedit directory.

Yes, yes... I could use ResEdit, but I thought that there were
intricacies involved in making sure that the right FOND for the NFNT
was installed, and such like, that F/DA mover would take care of for
me so I wouldn't have to re-read the new Font Manager section in IM
every time.

Turns out that F/DA mover 4.1 is what I want; now I just need to
figure out which of the TrueType disk images contains it.
--

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/06/91)

In article <1991May27.055325.28406@news.media.mit.edu>, mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
|> In article <1991May26.202152.2457@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) writes:
|> >
|> >why not use Font/DA Mover Version 4.1? It does work with 7.0. (Compat check
|> >says "compatible")
|> >It also lets you create new suitcases if you need them.
Also understands TrueType fonts.
|> Mighty fine suggestion.  Where can said beastie be found?

By anonymous ftp from ftp.apple.com in
  /dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype-fonts-1-0.hqx
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu