[comp.sys.mac.system] Tricking VM to work with Syquest drives

mpradhan@f.adelaide.edu.au (06/06/91)

 Hello all,

 I recently installed Sys 7.0, I have an internal HD and a CMS Syquest drive.
 I read a few reports how it was not possible to use the removable HD for
 virtual memory, but I remember doing this with b4 without much trouble.

 To get Sys 7.0 to use a removable HD for VM was a bit tricky but it finally
 worked: I didn't use the autoload init (extension) that comes with the
 CMS (INIT version 6.0.3) and I mounted the drive using SCSI Probe version 3.
 This fooled the Mac into thinking that the removable cartridge was fixed
 and allowed me to allocate VM space on it. I just restarted and things went
 smoothly.

 This trick does not work if you have the drive mount during startup, the Mac
 realizes that it's removable. I don't know if this is an idiosyncracy of the
 CMS drive or if it will work with any SCSI Probe/Syquest combination.

 I am going to get a fresh cartridge to have a nice big 42Mb VM space...

 I'd appreciate any comments if this is a dangerous or otherwise unhygeinic
 trick to play.

 Regards
 Malcolm
    Malcolm Pradhan                               _--_|\
    Medical Computing, Faculty of Medicine       /      \
    University of Adelaide, South Australia      \_.--._/
    InterNet: mpradhan@f.adelaide.edu.au               v
    Fax: + 618 223 2076

ireland@ac.dal.ca (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.202534.1@f.adelaide.edu.au>, mpradhan@f.adelaide.edu.au writes:

>  Hello all,
>
>  I recently installed Sys 7.0, I have an internal HD and a CMS Syquest drive.
>  I read a few reports how it was not possible to use the removable HD for
>  virtual memory, but I remember doing this with b4 without much trouble.
>
>  To get Sys 7.0 to use a removable HD for VM was a bit tricky but it finally
>  worked: I didn't use the autoload init (extension) that comes with the
>  CMS (INIT version 6.0.3) and I mounted the drive using SCSI Probe version 3.
>  This fooled the Mac into thinking that the removable cartridge was fixed
>  and allowed me to allocate VM space on it. I just restarted and things went
>  smoothly.
>
>  This trick does not work if you have the drive mount during startup, the Mac
>  realizes that it's removable. I don't know if this is an idiosyncracy of the
>  CMS drive or if it will work with any SCSI Probe/Syquest combination.
>
>  I am going to get a fresh cartridge to have a nice big 42Mb VM space...
>
>  I'd appreciate any comments if this is a dangerous or otherwise unhygeinic
>  trick to play.
>
>  Regards
>  Malcolm
>     Malcolm Pradhan                               _--_|\
>     Medical Computing, Faculty of Medicine       /      \
>     University of Adelaide, South Australia      \_.--._/
>     InterNet: mpradhan@f.adelaide.edu.au               v
>     Fax: + 618 223 2076

Great tip!  I got VM working on my APS Syquest drive. It's quite a bit slower
than VM on my internal Quantum 105, but seems to work OK.

Keith Conover
ireland@ac.dal.ca