[comp.sys.mac.system] Wanted: Keyboard way to Switch Apps in System 7...

stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) (06/05/91)

I can do soooo much with the keyboard now in System 7.. but I can't
switch Applications from the keyboard.. this is a queue for a neat
hack that would let users rotate through the open applications.. or
(GASP!!) like Windows (who said that :-)) or AHHH.. OS/2 (ooooh) where
you can bring up a task list and select from a list of currently open
applications.

Apple tries sooo hard to be modeless and yet the only way to switch
to a particular app is a modal operation of selecting from a menu!

Cheers.

Stu.

--
stui@avalon.uucp
stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com

alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (06/06/91)

In article <1CE00001.hdt2v9@avalon.caladan.wa.com>, stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) writes:

> I can do soooo much with the keyboard now in System 7.. but I can't
> switch Applications from the keyboard.. this is a queue for a neat
> hack that would let users rotate through the open applications.. or
> (GASP!!) like Windows (who said that :-)) or AHHH.. OS/2 (ooooh) where
> you can bring up a task list and select from a list of currently open
> applications.

I wrote such a doohickum yesterday morning. QuicKeys 2.1 will do this, but
it works in "process order." "Process order" is a system-defined arbitrary
order. Mine works in front-to-back order and can rotate in both directions.

The problem: it only works because I know about all sorts of undocumented
stuff that will probably go away one day.

The solution: I'm meditating on the pros and cons of giving it away, versus
making it better at MacHack. Stay tuned.

> Apple tries sooo hard to be modeless and yet the only way to switch
> to a particular app is a modal operation of selecting from a menu!

I agree. I did my hack based on a suggestion that Switcher did keyboard
application switching, which some people around here missed.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@apple.com      - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!apple!alexr        - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     -                                - Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-  (408) 974-3110          - nobody cares what I say.       -             -