[comp.sys.mac.system] Apple HD setup can't find my Hard Disk!!

trotter@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Russell homey/bithead Trotter) (06/06/91)

Could anyone explain why Apple HD setup (on the sys7 distribution,
disktools disk) can't find my Hard disk when it "scans the SCSI bus"?
It's a Quantum Hard disk originally set up with Disk Manager v 2.23
by Ontrack systems.  Is the SCSI driver on the disk incompatible?
Any help, especially from one of you Apple guys, would be great.
Thank you.

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (06/07/91)

In article <9106060516.AA21008@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> trotter@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU
(Russell homey/bithead Trotter) writes:
>Could anyone explain why Apple HD setup (on the sys7 distribution,
>disktools disk) can't find my Hard disk when it "scans the SCSI bus"?
>It's a Quantum Hard disk originally set up with Disk Manager v 2.23
>by Ontrack systems.  Is the SCSI driver on the disk incompatible?
>Any help, especially from one of you Apple guys, would be great.
>Thank you.

Apple HD SC setup only looks for certain drives when it scans.  If you're not
afraid of ResEdit, you can go into the Code resources and find this list (it's
in the last code resource, something like A5%Init) and add your drive type.

I'm not entirely sure how this list is searched, but it appears that the first
part of the list must match both the drive type and a string containing "Apple
Computer" and some other information.  It seems the latter part of the list
does not look for the string information.

I have successfully done this with Quantum and Seagate drives from various
sources.  Use with caution.  Your mileage may vary.
                                     <->
Bruce Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator      bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Boise State University, Boise, ID  83725              duscarte@idbsu.bitnet
(This message contains personal opinions only)        (208)385-1250@phone