[comp.sys.mac.system] 32-Bit QuickDraw extension and System 7

armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) (06/06/91)

We are using DesignCAD on a Plus and a Plus with a Novy QuiK30 accelerator.
The program requires that the 32-Bit QuickDraw system extension be used.

Under system 6, we put that extension in the system folder. At startup
it identifies its presence by showing its icon first, before all cdevs
and inits.

Under system 7, whether we put the extension in the system folder itself
or in the extensions folder, it doesn't show its icon at startup.
Is 32-Bit QuickDraw available to the system or not? How do we know? Is
it perhaps included in the Plus installation of system 7? How can we
be sure we have it working?
--
Stan Armstrong. Religious Studies Dept, Saint Mary's University, Halifax, N.S.
att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng | armstrong@husky1.stmarys.ca

james@uts.EDU.AU (J Boswell) (06/07/91)

armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) writes:

>Under system 7, whether we put the extension in the system folder itself
>or in the extensions folder, it doesn't show its icon at startup.
>Is 32-Bit QuickDraw available to the system or not? How do we know? Is
>it perhaps included in the Plus installation of system 7? How can we
>be sure we have it working?

As far as I recall 32 bit QD is included as part of SSW 7.0 on all machines.
The init is no longer required, junk it. I'm not even sure if it's an option
in the custom install any more - it's part of the system.

Of course if your s/w requires 32bit QD and it works, then I'd say you have
it working ... wouldn't you ? ;->

To be really sure, get a copy of MacEnvy, whatever the latest version is.
I'm sure it will be on info-mac.

james